Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help building motion sensor

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    I need a motion sensor that can focus on a very small area(not hawk eye) and detect a change in LED color/brightness. In addition, I need this motion sensor to trigger a cylinoid to press something when it senses. Where the hell do I find this stuff?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2007 #2

wolram

Gold Member

That is not an easy project, i know of sensors that can detect color, they are expensive.
    What distance do you want to detect motion/color
    Do you want to track an object and then focus a color senser on it?

4. Jun 7, 2007 #3
    I just need it to look at a small area about 2ft away and detect changes in color/brightness. I don't need to track anything. any idea?

5. Jun 7, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I don't really know anything about this stuff, but I'll take a shot at it. Could you perhaps adapt one of those cheap little key-chain digital cameras to your purpose? They're colour sensitive.

6. Jun 7, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Apart from Dangers suggestion, there are a few things to consider, i think an off the shelf color sensor would be to expensive.
    I think the change of light intensity from an LED would be washed out my normal room light, so a light detector would have to be very sensitive to detect it, If the room is kept fairly dark you may have a better chance of
    detection with a cheapish light sensor.

7. Jun 8, 2007 #6

wolram

Gold Member

8. Jun 8, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

9. Oct 1, 2007 #8
    I need HELP!

I am currently in my final year of college and we have been given the chance to do some project work. I have had the idea of making a motion sensor, i have a few ideas but was just wondering if anyone has tried or succeeded in actually building one.
    Anyone that has completed or thought about this project, has good ideas would you please give me a few ideas on how the simplest way is to build plz.
    Thank You
    Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?