Need help building a device to manipulate low voltage

In summary, the person is looking for assistance in building a device that can input a voltage below 5v, process and manipulate it by a programmed amount, and use a temperature probe to output the result. They are considering using an ADC or a uController for this project and are open to any input.
Marky522
Hello, I need some assistance building a device. I want to input a voltage below 5v, process it and manipulate it by a programmed amount. It won't be perfectly even so I can't do it by a set resistance, meaning the scaling will be different. Example: input 3.74v process it as 73 degrees, then reference the programmed scale for 73 degrees which would be 2.41v... I am mechanically and electrically inclined, have always been interested in building electronics cause I haven't ever donne it! Any input is appreciated!

Mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Sounds like what you are looking for is an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). There are also IC's that take a temperature probe as an input and output the result using various protocols. You might also consider simply using a uController with a built-in ADC and simply connecting a temperature probe to it.

A bit more detail on your actual project//goal might help refine answers.

Fish

1. How do I determine the necessary components for my low voltage manipulation device?

To determine the necessary components for your device, you will first need to determine the specific requirements for your project. This includes the desired voltage range, current capacity, and any other specific functions or features you need. From there, you can research and select the appropriate components such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field or reference existing designs to ensure the best component selection.

2. What safety precautions should I take when building a low voltage manipulation device?

The most important safety precaution when working with any electrical device is to always disconnect the power source before handling any components. It is also essential to use proper insulation and protective equipment. Additionally, it is crucial to follow all instructions and guidelines provided by the component manufacturers and to double-check all connections and wiring before powering on the device.

3. Can I use a low voltage manipulation device for high voltage applications?

No, low voltage manipulation devices are specifically designed and optimized for low voltage applications. Attempting to use them for high voltage applications can result in damage to the device and potential safety hazards. If you need a device for high voltage applications, it is best to research and select components specifically designed for that purpose.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with my low voltage manipulation device?

If you encounter any issues with your device, the first step is to double-check all connections and wiring to ensure they are correct. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If you are still unable to identify the issue, it is helpful to consult with experts or refer to online resources for troubleshooting tips and techniques.

5. What is the best way to test the functionality of my low voltage manipulation device?

The most effective way to test the functionality of your device is to use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current output at different points in the circuit. You can also test the device by connecting it to a load, such as a resistor or LED, and observing its performance. It is also essential to test the device under different conditions to ensure its reliability and functionality.