Need Help - Building own parking sensors

In summary: Many Thanks for all your input, I'm going to do some more research and come back to you with a decision.
marke2105
Hi I am relatively new to electrical engineering, I want to make my own parking sensors for a motorcycle, don't ask me why, I would just like to play about with the idea. Could anyone suggest what sort of sensors I would need and frequencies etc?, I am looking to have one separate transmitter and one receiver.

Many Thanks

Marke2105

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably the easiest ones to use would be ultrasonic transducers. Most of the cheap ones use 40 kHz. You need to determine the maximum range and the minimum range you want to measure. The minimum range sets the limit on how long your pulse can be and the maximum range determines your maximum pulse repetition rate.

And welcome to PF.

Thanks for your quick response skeptic, I am looking for a range of around 0.2 - 1 metres, anything you can recommend?

Cheers

Mark

It's so many years since I've worked with ultrasonics I really don't have any recommendations.

Here is a little on this type of transducer. Since your range will be short and you need wide angel coverage instead of the pencil beam these transducers produce, I was wondering if the beam couldn't be spread out more by funneling it down to a smaller orifice in front of the transducer.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Ultrasonics/EquipmentTrans/radiatedfields.htm

marke2105 said:
Hi I am relatively new to electrical engineering, I want to make my own parking sensors for a motorcycle, don't ask me why, I would just like to play about with the idea. Could anyone suggest what sort of sensors I would need and frequencies etc?, I am looking to have one separate transmitter and one receiver.

Many Thanks

Marke2105

Welcome to the PF. What's a parking sensor for a motorcycle? What do you want it to do?

My ex-wife was obsessed with better ways of parking.

She tried a tennis ball hanging via a string from the ceiling. This was my favorite. It was cheap.

She also tried a device with a base and a flexing "stick" and sign. Essentially the stick would bend when you bumped it and you'd see the top flex. Still pretty good.

Then, she purchased a machine that would detect the car and a red light would come on. This was just getting silly, but she really likes it. And, hey I like to see people happy :)

Me, I look at the reflections of my head lamps. They narrow as I approach the wall.

With a bike, I would think that you could see most anything. Could tape do the job?

Mike_In_Plano said:
Then, she purchased a machine that would detect the car and a red light would come on. This was just getting silly, but she really likes it. And, hey I like to see people happy :)
How about a couple of low (1") bumps on the floor? The beauty of this is that they don't have to guide you by sight, making you responsible for complying - they guide you physically - the car will stop between the two bumps. You'd have to touch the gas to get it to go over the 2nd bump.

This will help your wife park, not you.

Thanks for all your info, what I am trying to produce is a sensor system I can magnetically attach to the rear of a motorcycle to detect obstacles behind me while wheeling it around. It only needs to have a buzzer to alert when too close, however what I am having trouble deciding is whether to use ultrasonics or electromagnetic. I also have the small issue of the sensor box/ central controller unit. Like I've said the range is about 0.2M to 1M

I am quite lost with this and would appreciate anymore help

Thanks

Mark

Check a junkyard and see if you can get some of the sensors out of a car that has this function (object detection/collision avoidance). I know 2002+ Ford Explorers had this.

There are other simple, low-cost sensors you could use such as :
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/acc/28015-PING-v1.5.pdf

However, this is not sealed, so the elements would kill it pretty quickly.

marke2105 said:
...what I am having trouble deciding is whether to use ultrasonics or electromagnetic.

IMHO, electromagentic is going to have several problems: the distance is probably too great, and your bike is made of metal.

Ultrasonic is likely a better candidate.

1. How do parking sensors work?

Parking sensors use ultrasonic technology to detect objects in close proximity to a vehicle. They emit high frequency sound waves which bounce off nearby objects and are then detected by the sensors. The time it takes for the sound waves to return to the sensors is used to calculate the distance to the object.

2. What materials are needed to build my own parking sensors?

The basic materials needed to build parking sensors include ultrasonic sensors, a microcontroller, wires for connections, a power source, and a display unit. Optional materials may include a buzzer for audio alerts and a case for the sensors.

3. How accurate are DIY parking sensors compared to commercial ones?

The accuracy of DIY parking sensors can vary depending on the quality of the components used and the calibration of the sensors. Generally, DIY sensors can be just as accurate as commercial ones if built correctly and calibrated properly.

4. Can I install parking sensors on any vehicle?

Most vehicles can have parking sensors installed, but it may require some modifications depending on the make and model. Some vehicles may also have pre-installed sensors that can be activated with a software update. It's best to consult with a professional or refer to your vehicle's manual before installing parking sensors.

5. Are there any safety concerns with DIY parking sensors?

As with any DIY project, there is always a risk of malfunction or improper installation. It's important to thoroughly test and calibrate the sensors before relying on them for parking assistance. It's also recommended to have a professional check the sensors periodically for any potential safety hazards.