Need help building motion sensor

In summary: LED color/brightness. He also wants this motion sensor to trigger a cylinoid to press something when it senses. Chris is looking for suggestions on where to find this type of sensor.Dangers suggests that Chris contact the folks at Banner Engineering. Banner Engineering manufactures a variety of sensors that can detect color, including those that are cheap. Because Chris does not need to track anything, an off the shelf sensor would be too expensive. Dangers also suggests adapting a cheap key chain digital camera to the project. If the room is kept fairly dark, Chris may have a better chance of detection with a cheap sensor. If Chris uses an infrared
physicscrap
I need a motion sensor that can focus on a very small area(not hawk eye) and detect a change in LED color/brightness. In addition, I need this motion sensor to trigger a cylinoid to press something when it senses. Where the hell do I find this stuff?

Computer science news on Phys.org
That is not an easy project, i know of sensors that can detect color, they are expensive.
What distance do you want to detect motion/color
Do you want to track an object and then focus a color senser on it?

I just need it to look at a small area about 2ft away and detect changes in color/brightness. I don't need to track anything. any idea?

I don't really know anything about this stuff, but I'll take a shot at it. Could you perhaps adapt one of those cheap little key-chain digital cameras to your purpose? They're colour sensitive.

Apart from Dangers suggestion, there are a few things to consider, i think an off the shelf color sensor would be to expensive.
I think the change of light intensity from an LED would be washed out my normal room light, so a light detector would have to be very sensitive to detect it, If the room is kept fairly dark you may have a better chance of
detection with a cheapish light sensor.

I need HELP!

I am currently in my final year of college and we have been given the chance to do some project work. I have had the idea of making a motion sensor, i have a few ideas but was just wondering if anyone has tried or succeeded in actually building one.
Anyone that has completed or thought about this project, has good ideas would you please give me a few ideas on how the simplest way is to build please.
Thank You
Chris

1. What is a motion sensor and how does it work?

A motion sensor is a device that detects movement within its designated area. It works by emitting a signal, such as infrared radiation or microwaves, and measuring the reflection of that signal to determine if there is movement.

2. Why is a motion sensor important for building security?

A motion sensor is important for building security because it can detect and alert for any unauthorized movement or intruders, helping to prevent break-ins and theft.

3. What are the different types of motion sensors?

There are several types of motion sensors, including infrared, microwave, ultrasonic, and vibration sensors. Each type works in a different way, but they all aim to detect movement within a given area.

4. How do I choose the right motion sensor for my project?

When choosing a motion sensor for your project, consider the size of the area you need to cover, the level of sensitivity required, and the type of movement you want to detect. Researching and comparing different types and brands of motion sensors can also help you make an informed decision.

5. What are some common challenges when building a motion sensor and how can I overcome them?

Some common challenges when building a motion sensor include false alarms, limited detection range, and interference from other electronic devices. To overcome these challenges, it is important to properly calibrate and test the sensor, adjust the sensitivity settings, and ensure that the sensor is placed in an optimal location with minimal obstructions.