Need help determining the correct equation

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter katiemager
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect use of an equation to determine the amount of ice needed to be melted, emphasizing the importance of understanding the problem and using the correct approach. It also highlights the two separate aspects involved in the problem: cooling water and melting ice.
katiemager
Homework Statement
How much ice in grams would have to melt to lower the temperature of 52.4 g of water from 50.0 ∘C to 0 ∘C? (Assume that the density of water is 1.0 g/mL.)
Relevant Equations
q=mc(change in T)
I thought it would be...
q=mc(change in T)
=52.4g(1.0C/gC)(50C)
= 2620 g

This is incorrect. Am I using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value of c is wrong. Fix it and you get the heat in J the ice has to absorb. That is not the amount of ice you need.

Solving problems is NOT about "using a correct equation". It is about understanding the problem and describing it mathematically.

There are two separate thing happening here: one is cooling water - how much heat does it give away?
Second is melting ice - how much ice will the heat given away by water melt?

1. What should I do if I am unsure about the correct equation to use?

If you are unsure about the correct equation to use, the best thing to do is to consult a textbook or ask a colleague or mentor for help. You can also try researching online or checking with a scientific calculator for guidance.

2. How do I determine the correct equation for my specific experiment?

The correct equation for your experiment will depend on the variables you are measuring and the type of relationship you are trying to determine. It is important to carefully consider your experimental design and consult with an expert if needed to ensure you are using the correct equation.

3. Can I use multiple equations for one experiment?

Yes, in some cases it may be necessary to use multiple equations to accurately describe the relationship between variables in your experiment. However, it is important to ensure that the equations are compatible and that you are using them correctly.

4. How can I check if my calculated results are accurate?

To check the accuracy of your calculated results, you can use a variety of methods such as comparing your results to known values, repeating the experiment multiple times, or using statistical analysis. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure that you are using the correct equation.

5. What should I do if my results do not match the predicted outcome?

If your results do not match the predicted outcome, it is important to carefully review your experimental design and data analysis process. You may also want to consult with a mentor or expert in your field to troubleshoot potential errors or sources of variability in your experiment.