Find Magnetic Ballasts: 250W, 400W, 700W, and 1000W | Need Help Locating Them?

• Thread starter JerryG
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is searching for magnetic ballasts, with wattage ratings of 250W, 400W, 700W, and 1000W, for a high voltage, step-up transformer project involving a variac. They are looking for robust ballasts and hope that someone can identify them and provide information on where to purchase them. They mention that the ballasts have labels, but they do not have access to the labels. They also mention that the ballasts are not for lighting purposes, but rather to control the current going into the variac. The individual suggests looking into theater and stadium lighting suppliers and suggests considering Sola constant voltage regulating transformers as an option.
JerryG
I'm looking for a certain type of ballast and was hoping someone could help me find them. I'm looking for the ballasts shown in the pictures. I believe that they are magnetic ballasts. Two of them are 250W, two are 400W, one is 700W, and one is 1000W. Just for scale, the panel in the pictures is about two feet wide. Can anybody help me figure out where I can buy these?

PSU-1.jpg

PSU-2.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like they have labels on them -- what do the labels say?

berkeman said:
It looks like they have labels on them -- what do the labels say?

That's the problem. All I have are these pictures. I am looking for some very robust ballasts with those wattage ratings and I know the ones used in this unit would work perfectly, but I don't know exactly what they are or where they are sold.

I am just hoping someone might recognize that type and know where I might be able to buy them.

look into theater and stadium lighting suppliers

You need to work backwards. What are the exact lamp types? From that you can determine the ballasts.

You can't do diddly from these pictures.

They are actually not for lighting. I need ballasts to control the amount of current that goes into a variac.

I am using the variac as in input to a high voltage, step-up transformer designed to exceed the dielectric strength of air. Once the arc is established, I need the ballasts to keep the power in check so the transformer and variac don't fry.

look into Sola constant voltage regulating tansformers. (Ferreoresonant transformer)

they will limit the current that can flow to a load.

http://www.solahevidutysales.com/cvs_hardwired_series_power_conditioner.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are ballasts used for?

Ballasts are used in lighting systems to regulate the flow of electricity to the bulbs. They are typically found in fluorescent, HID, and LED lighting systems.

2. How do I know if my ballast is bad?

If your light bulbs are flickering, taking a long time to turn on, or not turning on at all, it could be a sign that your ballast is bad. You can also check for any melted or burnt components on the ballast itself.

3. Where can I find ballasts?

Ballasts can be found at most hardware or home improvement stores. They can also be purchased online from various retailers.

4. How do I choose the right ballast for my lighting system?

The type of ballast you need depends on the type of lighting system you have. Make sure to check the specifications of your existing ballast or consult with a professional to ensure you are purchasing the correct replacement.

5. Can I replace a ballast myself?

It is possible to replace a ballast yourself, but it is important to follow proper safety precautions and have some knowledge of electrical work. If you are unsure, it is best to hire a professional to avoid any potential hazards.