Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding ballasts

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    I'm looking for a certain type of ballast and was hoping someone could help me find them. I'm looking for the ballasts shown in the pictures. I believe that they are magnetic ballasts. Two of them are 250W, two are 400W, one is 700W, and one is 1000W. Just for scale, the panel in the pictures is about two feet wide. Can anybody help me figure out where I can buy these?

PSU-1.jpg

PSU-2.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It looks like they have labels on them -- what do the labels say?

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    That's the problem. All I have are these pictures. I am looking for some very robust ballasts with those wattage ratings and I know the ones used in this unit would work perfectly, but I don't know exactly what they are or where they are sold.

I am just hoping someone might recognize that type and know where I might be able to buy them.

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

look into theater and stadium lighting suppliers

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    You need to work backwards. What are the exact lamp types? From that you can determine the ballasts.

You can't do diddly from these pictures.

7. Jan 13, 2012 #6
    They are actually not for lighting. I need ballasts to control the amount of current that goes into a variac.

I am using the variac as in input to a high voltage, step-up transformer designed to exceed the dielectric strength of air. Once the arc is established, I need the ballasts to keep the power in check so the transformer and variac don't fry.

8. Jan 13, 2012 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

look into Sola constant voltage regulating tansformers. (Ferreoresonant transformer)

they will limit the current that can flow to a load.

http://www.solahevidutysales.com/cvs_hardwired_series_power_conditioner.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook