Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help focusing IR using a fresnel lens

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,

I want to focus IR on a small rectangular area using a Fresnel lens. I tried trial and error to find the focal point of the lens but can't seem to be able to get the exact point. The frensnel lens is a multiple fresnel lens. Can anyone please help?

Thanks =)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

What wavelength (range) of IR?

Try using a visible source to find the focal point. It will not be very different for IR.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    I tried using a laser pointer to do that. It was about 600nm. But it was too focused to let me see any difference. Can u suggest any other light source?

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can take it outside and use the sun. Or inside, if the sun is visible through a window.

Less accurate, but maybe reasonably accurate, is to use a ceiling lamp or other lamp, at a distance at least 10 focal lengths away from the lens.

1/f = 1/(focusing distance) + 1/(lamp distance)

Hope that helps.

6. Oct 18, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note:
    BE VERY CAREFUL if using the sun as a light source. Only focus the sun onto non-flamable surfaces!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?