1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help focusing IR using a fresnel lens

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,

I want to focus IR on a small rectangular area using a Fresnel lens. I tried trial and error to find the focal point of the lens but can't seem to be able to get the exact point. The frensnel lens is a multiple fresnel lens. Can anyone please help?

Thanks =)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

What wavelength (range) of IR?

Try using a visible source to find the focal point. It will not be very different for IR.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    I tried using a laser pointer to do that. It was about 600nm. But it was too focused to let me see any difference. Can u suggest any other light source?

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can take it outside and use the sun. Or inside, if the sun is visible through a window.

Less accurate, but maybe reasonably accurate, is to use a ceiling lamp or other lamp, at a distance at least 10 focal lengths away from the lens.

1/f = 1/(focusing distance) + 1/(lamp distance)

Hope that helps.

6. Oct 18, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note:
    BE VERY CAREFUL if using the sun as a light source. Only focus the sun onto non-flamable surfaces!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?