Need help getting started with QM

• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, if you need help getting started with QM, there are several steps you can follow. First, familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and principles of QM, such as the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle and the importance of continuous improvement. Then, identify the specific tools and techniques that are commonly used in QM, such as root cause analysis, process mapping, and statistical process control. Next, create a plan for implementing QM in your organization, including setting clear goals and objectives and involving all stakeholders in the process. Finally, continuously monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your QM efforts to ensure ongoing success and improvement. With these steps in mind, you can effectively get started with QM and begin reaping
The Rev
I just got done reading Gribbin's "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" and I am hooked! Quantum Mechanics is one of the most evocative and fascinating subjects I have ever come across, and I would like to learn a lot more about it. The only problem is, I don't know enough to know where to start.

My questions are, what level of math do I need to gain the greatest understanding of QM?

and,

What are some books that are more detailed and comprehensive than Gribbin, which I can study to learn more, but are still somewhat accessible to someone who still lacks the math to really dig into QM?

Thanks for you help.

The Rev

Physics news on Phys.org
1: here's a couple of threads about math and QM: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=69664&page=1&pp=15&highlight=math
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=69846&highlight=math

You can get an good idea about what's needed just for the basics in those. To get to the bottom of the whole field you need very very good and broad selection of mathematical skills and knowledge. Way broader than mine. Basic QM courses in theoretical physics usually require you to know calculus, differential equations, complex analysis, linear algebra and special functions.

2: I really can't recommend anything since I don't know how good your math skills are.

You'd know quite a bit of math,if u were to understand the 6 axioms...I've had almost a semester of maths preparation for the an understanding of the 6 axioms...

Daniel.

The Rev said:
I just got done reading Gribbin's "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" and I am hooked! Quantum Mechanics is one of the most evocative and fascinating subjects I have ever come across, and I would like to learn a lot more about it. The only problem is, I don't know enough to know where to start.

My questions are, what level of math do I need to gain the greatest understanding of QM?
I'm sorry but I don't know how to quantify the math you need into "levels." However if you look here

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/qm/qm.htm

you'll get a good idea. Basically that math used is at the level of advanced calculus, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, complex analysis and a rudimentary understanding of probability would help.

Pete
The Rev[/QUOTE]

From all of your posts, I can see that it'll be awhile before I have the math chops to really dig into the grit of Quantum Mechanics. I'm still getting through the High School stuff (Algebra, Geometry, Trig), so I see myself reading popularized books like Gribbin's for the foreseeable future.

Would anyone care to make a book recommendation for a layman?

[tex]X[/tex]

The Rev

1. What is QM and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics, or QM, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other small particles, which has a wide range of applications in technology and science.

2. How do I get started with learning QM?

The best way to get started with learning QM is by understanding the basic principles and concepts, such as wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty. You can also start by familiarizing yourself with the mathematical tools used in QM, such as linear algebra and complex numbers.

3. What are some common misconceptions about QM?

One common misconception about QM is that it only applies to the microscopic world. While it is true that QM deals with particles at the atomic and subatomic level, its principles and concepts can also be applied to larger systems. Another misconception is that QM is purely theoretical, but it has been experimentally confirmed and is used in many practical applications.

4. What are some good resources for learning QM?

There are many resources available for learning QM, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. Some recommended textbooks include "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. For online resources, websites such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free QM courses and lectures.

5. What are some real-world applications of QM?

QM has many real-world applications, including in electronics, computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. For example, transistors, which are essential components of electronic devices, are based on QM principles. QM is also used in quantum computing and encryption methods, which have the potential to revolutionize information processing and security. In medical imaging, techniques such as MRI and PET scans rely on QM to produce detailed images of the human body.