Need help on how to find the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste

• Thread starter rhmourwa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the individual is asking for guidance on how to calculate the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio for their gasification experiment using plastic waste as feedstock fuel. They are also curious about using the ultimate analysis to calculate this ratio and how to determine the actual air mass flow rate to achieve an equivalence ratio of 1 for complete combustion. They also mention the use of a diagram and spreadsheet for the analysis process and the need for oxygen sensors and exhaust gas processing in a real furnace setting.
rhmourwa
TL;DR Summary
How to find the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio and equivalence ratio of combustion (Plastic waste + Air) in the gasification of plastic waste
Hello
Actually, I'd like to find the effect of different Equivalence Ratios on my gasification experiment using plastic waste as feedstock fuel but I'm confused as to how I can find the Equivalence Ratio because I don't know the exact chemical formula of plastic waste I'm using. So I'm curious how can I calculate the stoichiometric Air-Fuel ratio of combustion? Can I use the ultimate analysis to calculate the stoichiometric Air-Fuel ratio?

This is the analysis of my feedstock (%w/w),
Moisture =10%
Ash =0.09%
VM =89.7%
FC =0.21%
C =83.1%
H =11.77%
O =4.83%
N =0.14%
S = 0.16%

I specify waste mass flowrate = 20 kg/h,
air mass flowrate = 10 kg/h

Engineering news on Phys.org
rhmourwa said:
Can I use the ultimate analysis to calculate the stoichiometric Air-Fuel ratio?
Yes, you can, but the total is not 100%.
What is the VM =89.7%, is that volatiles such as water ?
Does that mean the remainder is the dry fuel = 10.3% ?

If you know the carbon and the hydrogen, then you can make up a hypothetical hydrocarbon and evaluate the oxygen required for its combustion.
Some of the O =4.83% may be available.
Is the ash a silicate?

Baluncore said:
Yes, you can, but the total is not 100%.
What is the VM =89.7%, is that volatiles such as water ?
Does that mean the remainder is the dry fuel = 10.3% ?

If you know the carbon and the hydrogen, then you can make up a hypothetical hydrocarbon and evaluate the oxygen required for its combustion.
Some of the O =4.83% may be available.
Is the ash a silicate?
Thank you for answering. Yes, the VM means volatile matter and VM=89.7% is the weight percent of nonwater gas that is released when this plastic waste is heated in the absence of air.

So according to this reference website (this), Is this the same combustion reaction you mean? and to make up a hypothetical hydrocarbon, I change %mass basis in analysis to moles basis, and the combustion reaction will be:
C0.069H0.117 + 0.0465(O2 + 3.76N2) → 0.069CO2 + 0.0585H2O + 0.1748N2

From my understanding, this means oxygen required theoretically for combustion is 0.0465 mole but there is also 4.83%weight oxygen (=0.003 mole) in fuel. So, the amount of oxygen required is actually 0.0465-0.003 = 0.0435 mole and the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio will be = 0.0435+(0.0465*3.76) = 0.2183 mole. Am I doing it correctly? if you can correct me step by step, I'm very thankful.

and I have another question. If I want to change my actual air mass flow rate to achieve ER=1 for complete combustion. Can I determine it by using this equation:
air mass flow rate actual= Equivalence ratio * mass flowrate of fuel used * stoichiometric air-fuel ratio

rhmourwa said:
Am I doing it correctly? if you can correct me step by step, I'm very thankful.
I need a diagram that shows the mass flow through the analysis process. That way, I can see where the double counting is being done. For example, are the VM gasses being burnt? What do they include?

Following on from that diagram, I would use a spreadsheet to account for the many burning processes, to produce the mixed exhaust gas stream. The oxygen demand needed for that process can be computed in the spreadsheet.

There is a simple rule of thumb that says, for each one pound of hydrocarbon fuel burnt, about 14.5 pounds of air are required. That will give you a sanity check of your spreadsheet.

rhmourwa said:
... and I have another question. If I want to change my actual air mass flow rate to achieve ER=1 for complete combustion. Can I determine it by using this equation:
air mass flow rate actual= Equivalence ratio * mass flowrate of fuel used * stoichiometric air-fuel ratio
When it comes to burning a waste stream in a real furnace, there will be oxygen sensors in the exhaust, adjusting the air supply and secondary burning, or catalytic conversion of flue gasses. The precise computation of the stoichiometry will become moot, to be replaced by analysis of the bag house filtering to remove pollutants. The spreadsheet can help estimate the quantities and size of the exhaust gas processing plant.

1. What is the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste?

The Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste is the ratio of the actual amount of fuel burned to the theoretical amount of fuel that would be required for complete combustion. It is used to measure the efficiency of combustion and can range from 0 to infinity.

2. Why is it important to find the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste?

Finding the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste is important because it helps determine the efficiency of the combustion process. This information can be used to optimize combustion conditions and reduce emissions.

3. How do you calculate the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste?

The Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste can be calculated by dividing the actual fuel-to-air ratio by the stoichiometric fuel-to-air ratio. The stoichiometric ratio is the ideal ratio for complete combustion and can be found using the chemical formula of the plastic waste.

4. What factors can affect the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste?

The Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste can be affected by factors such as the type and composition of the plastic waste, the amount of oxygen present in the combustion environment, and the temperature and pressure during combustion.

5. How can the Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste be improved?

The Equivalence Ratio of combustion for plastic waste can be improved by adjusting the combustion conditions, such as increasing the amount of oxygen or adjusting the temperature and pressure. Using more efficient combustion technologies and properly sorting and preparing the plastic waste can also help improve the Equivalence Ratio.