Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help on understanding this notation

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    20uqt11.jpg

Where it says maxQ I don't understand.

Q is a matrix, so are A and P.

I know what q1 and the 2-norm of P are, but what on earth does max Q mean?

I started with the matrix A, I've selected Q as positive definite arbitrarily, and I recieved a matrix P. I need to now find rho but I'm stuck on what max Q means.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    maxQ means to take the maximum over all possible Q that satisfy the given equation. q1 and P will vary depending on what the matrix Q is.

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    I still really don't understand this part, can you simplify it a bit?

Say if I have a matrix Q = [1 2; 3 4]

What is the max Q?

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

There is no such thing. Matrices are not "ordered" and so do not have "max" or "min".

It's not "max Q", it is [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex], the maximum taken by a numerical expression over all possible values of Q. This isn't saying anything about a maximum of Q, it's talking about the maximum value of the numerical expression [itex]q_1/||P||[/itex] where Q can be any matrix and P must be such that [itex]A^TP+ PA+ Q= 0[/itex]

6. Feb 22, 2010 #5
    Ok thanks, so I don't need to alter the calculation of [itex]q_1/(2||P||)[/itex] and treat it the same as if [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex] wasn't there?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook