1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on understanding this notation

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    20uqt11.jpg

Where it says maxQ I don't understand.

Q is a matrix, so are A and P.

I know what q1 and the 2-norm of P are, but what on earth does max Q mean?

I started with the matrix A, I've selected Q as positive definite arbitrarily, and I recieved a matrix P. I need to now find rho but I'm stuck on what max Q means.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    maxQ means to take the maximum over all possible Q that satisfy the given equation. q1 and P will vary depending on what the matrix Q is.

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    I still really don't understand this part, can you simplify it a bit?

Say if I have a matrix Q = [1 2; 3 4]

What is the max Q?

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no such thing. Matrices are not "ordered" and so do not have "max" or "min".

It's not "max Q", it is [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex], the maximum taken by a numerical expression over all possible values of Q. This isn't saying anything about a maximum of Q, it's talking about the maximum value of the numerical expression [itex]q_1/||P||[/itex] where Q can be any matrix and P must be such that [itex]A^TP+ PA+ Q= 0[/itex]

6. Feb 22, 2010 #5
    Ok thanks, so I don't need to alter the calculation of [itex]q_1/(2||P||)[/itex] and treat it the same as if [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex] wasn't there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook