Need Help Remembering An Equation

• Thread starter Hertz
  • Start date
In summary, the equation to convert frequency into energy is E = hf, which applies to photons. For massive particles, the equation is E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, c is the speed of light, f is the frequency, and p is the momentum. This concept is related to wave-particle duality and the associated wavelength of matter.
Hertz
Does anyone happen to know the equation to convert frequency into energy?
I think it's something like: E = hf, but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hertz said:
E = hf

Yup. I assume you mean for EM waves?

Yup, is that the right equation?

Yes.

So this means that mc^2 = hf right?
So does this mean that everything with mass is actually an EM wave? Sorry I don't know a whole lot, I'm still in 11th grade :\

No, that's not what it means, that's why I asked if you meant for EM waves.
While yes, all matter does have an associated wavelength, but no, you can't compare the rest mass energy to the energy for an EM wave.

You should read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave-particle_duality" if you are curious.

For photons, [tex]E=h f[/tex] where the momentum of a photon is given by,
[tex]p = {E \over c}[/tex]

Generalized to massive particles, we get
[tex]\lambda = {h \over p} [/tex]

Where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the associated wavelength.

In general, energy is not just the rest mass energy and also includes a momentum term, so for our massive particles we have: [tex]E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some tips for remembering equations?

Some tips for remembering equations include creating mnemonic devices, practicing regularly, breaking down the equation into smaller parts, and using flashcards or visual aids.

2. How can I improve my ability to recall equations?

To improve your ability to recall equations, you can try to understand the underlying concepts behind the equation, make connections to real-life situations, and use repetition and practice to reinforce your memory.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to remember equations?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to remember equations include not understanding the meaning or purpose of the equation, relying too heavily on memorization instead of understanding, and not practicing enough.

4. Is it important to remember equations or can I just look them up?

While it may be possible to look up equations when needed, it is important to remember them as it can help with understanding and problem-solving in various scientific fields. Additionally, in certain situations, such as exams, you may not have access to references.

5. How can I remember equations for a long time?

To remember equations for a long time, you can try to understand the underlying concepts, practice regularly, and periodically review and revisit the equations to reinforce your memory. You can also try to apply the equations in real-life situations to solidify your understanding.