Need help understanding spherical harmonics

In summary: They only depend on the angles. In summary, spherical harmonics are a way to represent a function on a sphere using a linear combination of basis functions. They are similar to Fourier analysis, but instead of using sine and cosine functions, they use elementary spherical harmonics. The order of the spherical harmonics refers to the number of nodes present in the function. The coefficients for both Fourier and spherical harmonics can be determined using a Fourier transform, but it may be an under-determined system depending on the number of coefficients and observations. For more information, you can refer to the provided resources.
pamparana
Hello everyone,

I desperately need some help in understanding spherical harmonics and I would be really grateful if someone could help me understand them intuitively.

So, as I understand SH are another way to represent a function as a linear combination of some basis functions but the function lies on a sphere.

Here lies my first point of confusion. What does it mean when someone says a function is on a sphere. Does that mean that if we parameterize it using polar coordinates, then all the set of points have a constant radius. Is that a correct way to look at it?

Now, in Fourier analysis, we can break a function down as a combination of sin and cosine function. What is the equivalent in spherical harmonics? Are they some elementary functions like the sin and cosine? Also, what does it mean by the order of the spherical harmonics? What is the equivalent in the rectilinear Fourier side?

Another thing that I have trouble with is the process of determining the coefficients for both Fourier and SH. Normally, if there is a simple image processing software, it can do a Fourier transform of the image and the inverse. I appreciate that the signal we supply has to be bandlimited and we can only recover upto a certain frequency. However, there are as many number of coefficients as there are the basis functions. How can one determine the whole set of Fourier coefficients given one image? Wouldn't that be a under-determined system? We have one observation(one image) and more than one coefficient to find? I am not even sure if this question makes any sense. I hope it does and someone can help me understand it!

Thanks,

Luca

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of waves in a spherical coordinate system. They are solutions to the Laplace's equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of potential in a given region.

2. How are spherical harmonics used in science?

Spherical harmonics are used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and acoustics. They are used to describe the behavior of particles, electromagnetic fields, and sound waves in a spherical environment. They are also used in image and signal processing to analyze and manipulate data.

3. What is the significance of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have many practical applications in science and engineering. They allow us to understand and describe complex wave patterns in a spherical environment, which is essential in many fields of study. They also provide a powerful mathematical tool for solving problems with spherical symmetry.

4. How can I visualize spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics can be visualized as a series of concentric shells or layers, with each layer representing a different harmonic. The shape and size of the layers correspond to the amplitude and frequency of the harmonic. These visualizations can help in understanding the behavior and properties of spherical harmonics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of spherical harmonics?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of spherical harmonics. They are used to describe the behavior of electrons in an atom, the magnetic field of a planet or star, and the sound waves from a spherical source. They are also used in computer graphics to generate realistic lighting and shading effects in 3D models.