1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding this equality

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    Hello, I am really bothered by this because I can't seem to be able to prove the following is true.

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - u)^2 = \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - x_{avg})^2 + n(x_{avg} - u)^2[/tex]

for [tex]u = constant[/tex]
    and [tex]x_{avg} = \frac{\sum x_i}{n}[/tex]

I just can't seem to grasp how I can prove that the right-side equals the left-side. Any push in the right direction would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What've you tried doing? Have you tried expanding the RHS and using the definition of xavg? What do you get after doing this?
  4. Apr 4, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your definition of "xavg" is wrong. You need
    [tex]x_{avg}= \frac{\sum x_i}{n}[/tex]
    so [itex]\sum x_i= nx_{avg}[/itex]

Multiply it out on the left: [itex]\sum (x_i^2- 2ux_i+ u^2)= \sum x_i^2- 2u\sum x_i+ u^2 \sum 1[/itex]
    Of course, [itex]\sum x_i= nx_{avg}[/itex] and [itex]\sum 1[/itex]= n so that is [itex]\sum x_i^2- 2nux_{avg}+ nu^2[/itex]

Now do the same on the right and you should be able to cancel some things and arrive at the same answer.
  5. Apr 4, 2007 #4
    oh that helped a lot. Thx, cristo and halls, and thx for the correction. I got to the conclusion:

[tex]n(u^2-2ux_{avg}) == n(u^2-2ux_{avg})[/tex]

I had one more question. I need to know this relation to use in a proof in my 'probability' class. Is there an intuitive way to look at the equality to make it seem more obvious, and/or easier to memorize? Any takes on that would be helpful. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?