Need help understanding this equality

• Thread starter mkkrnfoo85
  • Start date
In summary, the left-hand side of the given equation is equal to the right-hand side, with u and xavg being constants. This can be proven by expanding both sides and using the definition of xavg. One can also use an intuitive approach to understand and remember this relation.
mkkrnfoo85
Hello, I am really bothered by this because I can't seem to be able to prove the following is true.

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - u)^2 = \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - x_{avg})^2 + n(x_{avg} - u)^2[/tex]

for [tex]u = constant[/tex]
and [tex]x_{avg} = \frac{\sum x_i}{n}[/tex]

I just can't seem to grasp how I can prove that the right-side equals the left-side. Any push in the right direction would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What've you tried doing? Have you tried expanding the RHS and using the definition of xavg? What do you get after doing this?

Your definition of "xavg" is wrong. You need
[tex]x_{avg}= \frac{\sum x_i}{n}[/tex]
so [itex]\sum x_i= nx_{avg}[/itex]

Multiply it out on the left: [itex]\sum (x_i^2- 2ux_i+ u^2)= \sum x_i^2- 2u\sum x_i+ u^2 \sum 1[/itex]
Of course, [itex]\sum x_i= nx_{avg}[/itex] and [itex]\sum 1[/itex]= n so that is [itex]\sum x_i^2- 2nux_{avg}+ nu^2[/itex]

Now do the same on the right and you should be able to cancel some things and arrive at the same answer.

oh that helped a lot. Thx, cristo and halls, and thanks for the correction. I got to the conclusion:

[tex]n(u^2-2ux_{avg}) == n(u^2-2ux_{avg})[/tex]

=).

I had one more question. I need to know this relation to use in a proof in my 'probability' class. Is there an intuitive way to look at the equality to make it seem more obvious, and/or easier to memorize? Any takes on that would be helpful. Thanks again.

-Mark

Related to Need help understanding this equality

1. What does "equality" mean in this context?

Equality refers to the idea that two things are the same or have the same value. In mathematics, an equality is a statement that shows that two expressions are equal.

2. How do I determine if an equality is true or false?

To determine if an equality is true or false, you must use mathematical operations to simplify both sides of the equation and see if they result in the same value. If they do, then the equality is true. If they do not, then the equality is false.

3. What is the difference between an equality and an inequality?

An equality shows that two expressions are equal, while an inequality shows that two expressions are not equal. An inequality can also show the relationship between two values, such as one being greater than or less than the other.

4. How can I solve an equation with an equality?

To solve an equation with an equality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is by itself on one side.

5. Can an equality have more than one solution?

Yes, an equality can have more than one solution. This is called a multiple solution or infinite solution. It means that there are multiple values that can make the equality true.