Calculating Capacitor Potential Difference and Resistance for 12V Battery

• Thread starter ShadowFX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses three physics problems involving equipotential surfaces, capacitors, resistors, and energy. The first problem involves finding the potential surface of two equipotential surfaces surrounding a point charge. The second problem involves finding the potential difference across the plates of a capacitor filled with a dielectric in order to store the same amount of energy as an empty capacitor. The third problem involves finding the resistance of a resistor connected to a battery that delivers a certain amount of energy in a given time. Solutions and discussions for each problem are provided.
ShadowFX
Two equipotential surfaces that surround a +3.0 x 10^-7 C point charge has a radius of 0.15m, what is the potential surface

Two capacitors are identical, except that one is empty and the other is filled with a dielectric (k= 4.50). The empty capacitor is connected to a 12.0 V battery. What must be the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor filled with a dielectric such that it stores the same amount of electrical energy as the empty capacitor?

A resistor is connected across the terminals of a 9.0-V battery which delivers 1.1x10^5 J of energy to the resistor in six hours what is the resistance to the resister? (i solved this one but got a ridiculously small resistance of like 3.4 to the negative 8)

Physics news on Phys.org
2nd one:

E = 1/2CV^2

E1 = 1/2C x 144

E2 = 4.5 x 1/2 x C x V = 1/2C x 144

Ummm... don't know if that's right, but it looks like it. I mean, kappa basically mutliples the capacitance. C's cancel.

3rd one: My way of thinking is: P = V^2/R

J = V^2/R x T (In your case 3600) You know everything but R, so plug and chug.

Sorry, forgot how to do the first one. We went over this for like a day, then went on to circuits =S

PL

For the third one, http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm.
Your first question is unclear.
For the second one, can you tell me the energy in the capacitor without the dielectric? Qualitatively, do you expect the required voltage to be more or less than the case with k=1?
Do you have a textbook?

Would it matter what the capacitance is? Doens't it just cancel out anyway?

And don't give him (her?) those links. :p He'll (she?) never learn that way. :)

PL

the second question is exactly as it is out of the book, and i don't have the book, i left it at school. thnx for helping guys, i appreciate it... =P. i have a chem 102 exam tmmrw morning at 8 am too... i am screwed.

crap is Watts=J/s?

Completed.
A resistor is connected across the terminals of a 9.0-V battery which delivers 1.1x10^5 J of energy to the resistor in six hours what is the resistance to the resister? (and i figured it out without the link =) i found out that P is J/s hahaha rather than just joules. haha stupid watts. thnx for helping out.)

Thnx a lot guys only 2 to go.

Hrmm... i don't actually know if capacity matters but i think it probably does...

Poop-Loops said:
Would it matter what the capacitance is? Doens't it just cancel out anyway?

And don't give him (her?) those links. :p He'll (she?) never learn that way. :)

PL
The capacitance will of course cancel since we are given no information about the capacitor itself.
The energy store in a capacitor is [tex] U = \frac{1}{2} CV^2[/tex].
The problem at hand states [tex] \frac{1}{2} C_1V_1^2= \frac{1}{2} C_2V_2^2[/tex]. You are looking for V_2.

i believe V works out to be 5.66 =) thnx guys.

1. What kind of help do you need?

I am in need of urgent assistance with a problem or task that I am unable to handle on my own.

2. Why is it so important for you to get help?

The situation may be causing me stress, anxiety, or hindering my progress in achieving a goal. Therefore, I am seeking help to alleviate these issues.

3. What specifically do you need help with?

I am not able to complete a task, understand a concept, or solve a problem on my own and require someone's expertise or guidance.

4. Is there a deadline for when you need assistance?

Yes, I need help as soon as possible in order to prevent further delays or complications.

5. What can I do to help you?

If you are able to offer assistance, please let me know what resources, skills, or knowledge you have that could help me with my problem or task.