Need Help (what did i do wrong)

• Thread starter BunDa4Th
  • Start date
In summary, an object with mass m1 = 5.00 kg is connected to a hanging object with mass m2 = 9.0 kg by a cable passing over a pulley. Using Newton's 2nd law, the equations m1a1 = T + m1g and m2a1 = -T + m2g can be used to find the acceleration of each object and the tension in the cable. However, when friction is applied, the equation T - u_km_1g = m_1a_1 can be used to find the acceleration of the system, where u_k is the coefficient of kinetic friction. For the specific values given in the problem, the acceleration would be 1.
BunDa4Th
An object with mass m1 = 5.00 kg, rests on a frictionless horizontal table and is connected to a cable that passes over a pulley and is then fastened to a hanging object with mass m2 = 9.0 kg, as shown in Figure P4.30. Find the acceleration of each object and the tension in the cable.

mass m1 m/s^2
mass m2 m/s^2
tension N

p4-30.gif

Okay, I did a similar problem to this but the only difference was m1 and m2 location and an incline. I used this formula which I believe is correct to use here but end up with the wrong answer.

T = M_2g + M_2a and M_1g - T = M_1a i plug in T and solve for a which gives 2.8 which is incorrect then i thought i made a mistake in my equation and tried again to get 5.8 which was also incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use "a formula"; use Newton's 2nd law to create your own formulas. Start by identifying the forces acting on each mass in the direction of motion. (Also use a consistent sign convention, so you can use the same "a" to represent the acceleration of both masses.)

would these be the two equation

m1a1 = T + m1g and m2a1 = -T + m2g

Nope. For one thing, the tension force on m1 and the gravitational force on m1 are perpendicular--so you can't just add them.

well, i did some reading and came upon this:

F_y = m2a_y: T - W2 = m2(-a)
F_x = m1a_x: T - f = m1(a)

edit: Okay, I read what Doc Al posted carefully and understand it. and figure that this is the right equation.

Now i have a question which is related to the same picture but this time friction is apply and i don't even understand what it means.

m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 4.5 kg. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is 0.60 while the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30.

(a) If the system is released from rest, what will its acceleration be?
(b) If the system is set in motion with m2 moving downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?
m/s2

Last edited:
what is coefficient of static friction and coefficient of kinetic friction?

Fx = T - f_k = m_1a_1 Fy = n - m1g = 0

T - u_km_1g = m_1a_1

and there is this a = (m_2g - u_km_1g) / (m_1+m_2)

i tried that but it was incorrect.

BunDa4Th said:
well, i did some reading and came upon this:

F_y = m2a_y: T - W2 = m2(-a)
Good. You can replace W2 with m2g.
F_x = m1a_x: T - f = m1(a)
What's "f"?
Now i have a question which is related to the same picture but this time friction is apply and i don't even understand what it means.

m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 4.5 kg. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is 0.60 while the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30.

(a) If the system is released from rest, what will its acceleration be?
(b) If the system is set in motion with m2 moving downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?
m/s2
Now that friction is applied, the "f" in your second equation makes more sense.

For (a), ask yourself: Does it move?

BunDa4Th said:
what is coefficient of static friction and coefficient of kinetic friction?
Since the system starts from rest in part (a), consider static friction; for part (b) it's already moving, so kinetic friction applies.

Thanks for your help. I was able to solve this and I am now ready for the quiz next week.

What did I do wrong?

Without more information, it is difficult to determine what you may have done wrong. Can you provide more context or details about the situation?

Can you help me figure out what I did wrong?

Yes, I would be happy to help. Can you explain what happened and what you think may have gone wrong?

I need help understanding what I did wrong.

I can try to clarify the situation for you. Can you provide more information about what you are struggling to understand?

Why do I keep making mistakes?

Making mistakes is a natural part of learning and growth. It is important to reflect on your mistakes and learn from them to improve in the future.

Can you give me some advice on how to avoid making mistakes?

One way to avoid making mistakes is to carefully double check your work and ask for feedback from others. It can also be helpful to break tasks into smaller, manageable steps.