Need Help with Applying Newton's 2nd Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's 2nd Law in solving a physics problem involving forces acting on block 2. The question asks for the sum of the x components of the forces, which should be expressed in terms of tension T, block mass m_2, acceleration of gravity g, and angle theta. The conversation also mentions the need to draw a free body diagram and use Newton's 2nd Law to solve the problem. One participant expresses difficulty in understanding the question and asks for help, while another suggests posting a diagram for better understanding.
kenau_reveas
Need Help with "Applying Newton's 2nd Law"

What is \sum F_{2x}, the sum of the x components of the forces acting on block 2? Take forces acting up the incline to be positive.

Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables tension T, m_2, the magnitude of the acceleration of gravity g, and theta.

i really don't have a clue what is going on here..i would really appreciate if anyone can help me out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
draw FBD and resolve the weight to x & y direction then use N2L

yeah,i am having the same problem here.Especially when they give a picture showing a rope being pull by an object and then later ask me to calculate the tension in the rope.

well i am a novice in physics...please help me.

You might want to post a diagram so we can see what you are talking about.

Doc Al said:
You might want to post a diagram so we can see what you are talking about.

this is the diagr
46055_a.jpg
am

OK, now start identifying all the forces that act on each block.

Hey Mentor, i am really bad at physics..i am really not able to figure out the queston. if you can help me with the answer it will be great.i really appreciate that..

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Force and Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do I apply Newton's 2nd Law in real life?

You can apply Newton's 2nd Law in real life by understanding the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. For example, if you push a heavy box with the same force as a lighter box, the heavier box will have a lower acceleration due to its higher mass.

3. What is the formula for Newton's 2nd Law?

The formula for Newton's 2nd Law is F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

4. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to non-rigid objects?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to non-rigid objects as long as the net force and acceleration are calculated for the entire object. This can be done by breaking the object into smaller, rigid parts and finding the net force and acceleration for each part.

5. How is Newton's 2nd Law related to the other laws of motion?

Newton's 2nd Law is related to the other laws of motion by providing a quantitative relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It also helps to explain the cause and effect relationship between these variables, as seen in Newton's 1st Law (Law of Inertia) and Newton's 3rd Law (Law of Action and Reaction).