1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help With Calculus Question

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

si9vr73ny4o1.jpg

Note: The functions above are in piece wise form, I just didn't know how to put them in piece wise function here.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

http://www.mathway.com/math_image.aspx?p=SMB02LSMB03x:-1,-xSMB02ESMB032SMB02eSMB03+2SMB02lSMB03?p=87?p=38 [Broken] = 1

http://www.mathway.com/math_image.aspx?p=SMB02LSMB03x:-1,4x+5SMB02lSMB03?p=83?p=38 [Broken] = 1

1/1 = 1

Answer: limit as x approaches f(x) = 1

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    I'm not sure what your question is..
    Your answer is correct

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Edited the question! Hopefully you will be able to see it and understand it and help me out.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4
    I understand the question in the image but I don't understand your question
    I'll try and explain piecewise functions but I may be going in the wrong direction

your f(x) can be thought of as two seperate functions in the two seperate areas, when x is greater than or equal to -1 we treat the function as 4x+5
    when x is less than -1 we treat the function as -x^2 + 2

In trying to find the limit, in this simple case you can just evaluate the function at x=-1. So we would use the region where x is greater than or equal to -1 and get -4+5 = 1.
    I'm assuming this is all that you're expected to be doing since it seems like this is an early calculus class that isn't going to be all rigorous.

I attatched a graph of your function if it will help

Attached Files:

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    So the answer to my question is just limit as x approaches -1 f(x) = 1 ? And will it be acceptable for me to just show the two cases that I have in my original answer, where I have plugged in a -1 every where I have an x?

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1}\,f(x)=1\,,[/itex] what you wrote isn't quite what you need to say.

Also, what does 1/1 = 1 have to do with this question ?

You need to show that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^-}\ f(x)=\lim_{x\to-1^+}\ f(x)\,.[/itex] If that is true then that common result is the limit you're looking for.

While it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^-}\ f(x)= \lim_{x\to-1}-x^2+2\,,[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^+}\ f(x)= \lim_{x\to-1}4x+5\,,[/itex] you really should state that this is what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Jan 21, 2012 #7
    So can I just rewrite your last sentence and add something like:

The above statements hold true therefore limit as x approaches -1 f(x) = 1. I mean would that be an acceptable answer?

9. Jan 22, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As an instructor I would want you to indicate that you're taking a limit as x approaches -1 from the left, and taking a limit as x approaches -1 from the right.

That may be picky on my part, and many of my students would agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook