Need help with conic intersection algebra

In summary, the problem is to find the intersection points of a circle and an ellipse, both centered at the origin. The equations for the two shapes are x^2+y^2=4 and (x^2/4)+(y^2/9) = 1, respectively. The solutions are (-2,0) and (2,0). To solve the problem, one could subtract (x^2/4) from both sides of the equations and then look at the vertices of the ellipse and the radius of the circle. However, simply plotting the graphs of the two equations will also reveal the intersection points.
Cacophony

Homework Statement

Find intersection points of the following.(Conics are centered to origin)

Circle = x^2+y^2=4, Ellipse = (x^2/4)+(y^2/9) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have this. (BTW I know the solutions are (-2,0) and (2,0) but I'm still unsure how to get there step by step).

(x^2/4)+(y^2/4) = (x^2/4)+(y^2/9)= 1

What's the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have (x^2/4)+(y^2/4) = (x^2/4)+(y^2/9) what do you get if you subtract (x^2/4) from each side?

Oh ok, so the answer is 5y^2=1?

Cacophony said:
Oh ok, so the answer is 5y^2=1?

Why would you get that? Reread my last post.

I'm not sure exactly how to solve this, but I would look at the vertices of the ellipse and the radius of the circle

hey cacophony , just plot the two graphs and you will see the intersection

kushan said:
hey cacophony , just plot the two graphs and you will see the intersection
But that will probably not help the OP in identifying the intersection points, which is what the problem asks him/her to do.

1. What is the purpose of finding the intersection of conic sections in algebra?

The purpose of finding the intersection of conic sections in algebra is to determine the points where two or more conic sections intersect. This can be useful in graphing and solving equations involving conic sections.

2. What are the different types of conic sections?

The different types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. Each type has its own unique characteristics and equations.

3. How do you solve for the intersection of conic sections?

To solve for the intersection of conic sections, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. You can also use graphing techniques to visually determine the points of intersection.

4. Can conic sections intersect at more than two points?

Yes, conic sections can intersect at more than two points. For example, two circles can intersect at two, one, or zero points, depending on their relative positions. Similarly, other types of conic sections can have multiple points of intersection.

5. What are some real-life applications of conic sections and their intersections?

Conic sections and their intersections have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, the paths of planets and satellites can be modeled using conic sections, and the intersection of a parabolic mirror and a cone can be used in telescopes and reflector antennas.