What Values of \( p \) Ensure \( p(x^2+2) < 2x^2+6x+1 \) for All \( x \)?

• Thread starter Theodore Hodson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: It means that the graph of ##y = p(x)## lies either in the region ##y > 0## or the region ##y < 0##. That means that the function ##p(x)## cannot cross or touch 0, and that, in turn, means that the equation ##p(x) = 0## has no real roots.Think... why is that not obvious from the original inequality?Because we need to isolate p and put the inequality into a form where we can apply the discriminant to find the values of p that make the roots of the quadratic equal to zero. So in other words, we need to make sure that the inequality is set up
Theodore Hodson

Homework Statement

What is the set of values of p for which p(x^2+2) < 2x^2+6x+1 for all real values of x?

Homework Equations

p(x^2+2) < 2x^2+6x+1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know I need to use my knowledge of the discriminant here, but the fact that its an inequality is confusing me somewhat. Would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction :)

TYVM ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you simply solve for p using long division?

Theodore Hodson said:

Homework Statement

What is the set of values of p for which p(x^2+2) < 2x^2+6x+1 for all real values of x?

Homework Equations

p(x^2+2) < 2x^2+6x+1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know I need to use my knowledge of the discriminant here, but the fact that its an inequality is confusing me somewhat. Would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction :)

TYVM ! :)
Yes. The discriminant can be a big help.

In general, what is the discriminant used for?

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
Yes. The discriminant can be a big help.

In general, what is the discriminant used for?
umm its used to give us information about the roots of a quadratic. Like whether the roots are real or not .Just not quite sure how I can apply it here. I can see that because the question is asking about 'real' values of x its probably wanting me to use this 'b^2-4ac>=0 but I'm still pretty stumped.

Theodore Hodson said:
umm its used to give us information about the roots of a quadratic. Like whether the roots are real or not .Just not quite sure how I can apply it here. I can see that because the question is asking about 'real' values of x its probably wanting me to use this 'b^2-4ac>=0 but I'm still pretty stumped.
Yes.

Roots of a quadratic : values of x that make the quadratic equal to zero, Right?

Therefore, subtract p(x2 +2) from both sides of the inequality.

Now, if it was an equation rather than an inequality, what are the various outcomes that the discriminant predicts?

SammyS said:
Yes.

Roots of a quadratic : values of x that make the quadratic equal to zero, Right?

Therefore, subtract p(x2 +2) from both sides of the inequality.

Now, if it was an equation rather than an inequality, what are the various outcomes that the discriminant predicts?
Right I think I figured it out. But I still got a problem -I'll talk about that in a sec. So going from what you said I subtracted p(x^2+2) from both sides and ended up with:

0< (2-p)x^2 +6x +1 -2p

Okay I've got a quadratic inequality here now. So because the question is asking for p values for all 'real' values of x then the roots of the quadratic for those 'real' values of x will be 'real' too. Which means we can use the discriminant to create an inequality to show when the quadratic has real roots and then isolate p in that inequality.

So using the discriminant (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p has real roots when

(6)^2-(4)(2-p)(1-2p)>= 0

which simplifies to:

-8p^2+20p+28>=0

Factoring this result, we get:

-4(2p-7)(p+1)>=0

So solving this inequality, p is greater than or equal to zero within this range -1<=p<=7/2.

Okay so I think kinda understand it tho I'm still a bit confused. Checked my answer in the textbook and its wrong. It's meant to be -1<p<7/2. Can you show where I went wrong?? much appreciated :)

Theodore Hodson said:
Right I think I figured it out. But I still got a problem -I'll talk about that in a sec. So going from what you said I subtracted p(x^2+2) from both sides and ended up with:

0< (2-p)x^2 +6x +1 -2p

Okay I've got a quadratic inequality here now. So because the question is asking for p values for all 'real' values of x then the roots of the quadratic for those 'real' values of x will be 'real' too. Which means we can use the discriminant to create an inequality to show when the quadratic has real roots and then isolate p in that inequality.
No: you have it exactly backwards: the graph of the function ##y = (2-p) x^2 + 6x + 1 - 2p## must lie in the region ##y > 0## for all ##x##. That means that the equation ##(2-p) x^2 + 6x + 1 - 2p = 0## must have NO real roots. What is the condition for that?

Ray Vickson said:
No: you have it exactly backwards: the graph of the function ##y = (2-p) x^2 + 6x + 1 - 2p## must lie in the region ##y > 0## for all ##x##. That means that the equation ##(2-p) x^2 + 6x + 1 - 2p = 0## must have NO real roots. What is the condition for that?
Aha! I see now. Man I'm such a dumbass. Perfect example of me not using common sense. So if you were to graph that it would never intersect the x-axis. Alright so the last step in my working would change to
-4(2p-7)(p+1)<0 which would mean p is less than zero within this range -1>p>7/2. Thanks a lot!

I think the thing that really got me confused was it asking for values of p that satisfy the inequality for all 'real' values of x. What does 'for all real values of x' mean in the context of the question?

Theodore Hodson said:
Aha! I see now. Man I'm such a dumbass. Perfect example of me not using common sense. So if you were to graph that it would never intersect the x-axis. Alright so the last step in my working would change to
-4(2p-7)(p+1)<0 which would mean p is less than zero within this range -1>p>7/2. Thanks a lot!

I think the thing that really got me confused was it asking for values of p that satisfy the inequality for all 'real' values of x. What does 'for all real values of x' mean in the context of the question?

It means that the graph of ##y = p(x)## lies either in the region ##y > 0## or the region ##y < 0##. That means that the function ##p(x)## cannot cross or touch 0, and that, in turn, means that the equation ##p(x) = 0## has no real roots.

Think about what it would mean if the equation ##p(x) = 0## DID have one or more real roots. Could the inequality ##p(x) > 0## or ##p(x) < 0## then hold for ALL ##x##?

Ray Vickson said:
It means that the graph of ##y = p(x)## lies either in the region ##y > 0## or the region ##y < 0##. That means that the function ##p(x)## cannot cross or touch 0, and that, in turn, means that the equation ##p(x) = 0## has no real roots.

Think about what it would mean if the equation ##p(x) = 0## DID have one or more real roots. Could the inequality ##p(x) > 0## or ##p(x) < 0## then hold for ALL ##x##?

Ahh right. If they did have real roots then the inequalities p(x)>0 and p(x)<0 wouldn't hold for all x cause the functions would intersect the x-axis at some x value. Thank-you for the help sir :)

Theodore Hodson said:

That inequality, -1 > p > 7/2, is not a valid inequality. It says p is less than -1 and p is greater than 7/2. I doubt that you actually mean that.

Once you get that sorted out ...

You are not quite done solving this problem.

What you have found so far is those values of p such that ##\ y=(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p \ ## doesn't cross the x-axis, so ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p \ ## is always positive or always negative. You only want one of those.

Which one will give you ##\ p\,(x^2+2) < 2x^2+6x+1 \ ## for all ##\ x\ ?##

SammyS said:
That inequality, -1 > p > 7/2, is not a valid inequality. It says p is less than -1 and p is greater than 7/2. I doubt that you actually mean that.

Once you get that sorted out ...

What you have found so far is those values of p such that ##\ y=(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p \ ## doesn't cross the x-axis, so ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p \ ## is always positive or always negative. You only want one of those.

Yeah you're totally right I didn't mean -1>p>7/2 I meant -1<p<7/2 which is in fact the answer in the back of the book. Though having gone through the question again I think -1<p<7/2 isn't right either so the book must have made an error. So let me work things through from the start. Please tell if my thinking is wrong I really appreciate it :)Alright so going back from 2-px^2+6x+1-2p>0 - this would be a parabola that is totally above the x-axis (so always positive) and if you move everything to the other side (p-2x^2-6x+2p-1<0) then this would be a parabola totally below the x-axis (so always negative). So both have no real roots. I'll use the one that is always positive and therefore has no real roots. So if it has no real roots then (using the discriminant of this always positive quadratic) (6)^2-4(2-p)(1-2p) must be less than 0. The brackets expand to make:

-8p^2+20p+28<0
This quadratic would then be visualised as a 'sad' face parabola and now that we've got a quadratic inequality in p we can isolate p and find the range of values it can take.

Then factoring we get:

-4(2p-7)(p+1)<0
dividing by -4

(2p-7)(p+1)<0

So this quadratic would have roots at -1 and 7/2 and since its an 'upside-down' parabola it means that it is less than zero when p>7/2 and p<-1. So from this we've figured out the range of values that P can take.

Have I got this right now?

Theodore Hodson said:
So this quadratic would have roots at -1 and 7/2 and since its an 'upside-down' parabola it means that it is less than zero when p>7/2 and p<-1. So from this we've figured out the range of values that P can take.

Yes. You can easily check a few values, like p=0.

Theodore Hodson said:
Yeah you're totally right I didn't mean -1>p>7/2 I meant -1<p<7/2 which is in fact the answer in the back of the book. Though having gone through the question again I think -1<p<7/2 isn't right either so the book must have made an error. So let me work things through from the start. Please tell if my thinking is wrong I really appreciate it :)Alright so going back from 2-px^2+6x+1-2p>0 - this would be a parabola that is totally above the x-axis (so always positive) and if you move everything to the other side (p-2x^2-6x+2p-1<0) then this would be a parabola totally below the x-axis (so always negative). So both have no real roots. I'll use the one that is always positive and therefore has no real roots. So if it has no real roots then (using the discriminant of this always positive quadratic) (6)^2-4(2-p)(1-2p) must be less than 0. The brackets expand to make:

-8p^2+20p+28<0
This quadratic would then be visualised as a 'sad' face parabola and now that we've got a quadratic inequality in p we can isolate p and find the range of values it can take.

Then factoring we get:

-4(2p-7)(p+1)<0
dividing by -4

(2p-7)(p+1)<0

Sort of right.

It's p < -1 OR p > 7/2 so that the discriminant is negative, i.e. there are no zeros.

But as I pointed out in a previous post:

SammyS said:

In other words:

For the any particular value of p such that ##\displaystyle\ p\in(-\infty,\,-1)\cup(7/2,\,\infty)\,,\ ## one of the following is true.

Either ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0 \ ## for all ##\ x\ ## or ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p<0 \ ## for all ##\ x\ ##.

You need to pick only those values of p that give ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0 \ ##. Right?

Hint: The y-intercept should help you pick.

SammyS said:
Sort of right.

It's p < -1 OR p > 7/2 so that the discriminant is negative, i.e. there are no zeros.

But as I pointed out in a previous post:
In other words:

For the any particular value of p such that ##\displaystyle\ p\in(-\infty,\,-1)\cup(7/2,\,\infty)\,,\ ## one of the following is true.

Either ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0 \ ## for all ##\ x\ ## or ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p<0 \ ## for all ##\ x\ ##.

You need to pick only those values of p that give ##\ (2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0 \ ##. Right?

Hint: The y-intercept should help you pick.

Ahh right okay I think I understand. I think I was getting massively confused before. Let me go from near the beginning again. Thanks for bearing with me all this time :)

So we have ##y=(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## and using the discriminant, I've found those values of ##p## for which

##y=(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## has no real roots.

i.e those values of ##p## for which ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0## OR ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p<0##.

And I want to find the range of values of ##p## which will make ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0##.So ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## will be greater than zero or less than zero depending on whether ##p>\frac{7}{2}## or ##p<-1##.

Okay so let's find the y-intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## for a ##p>\frac{7}{2}## and the y intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## for a ##p<-1##.

Depending upon whether the y-intercept is negative or positive it will show us if this range of ##p##-values gives us the totally positive or totally negative version of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p##.

Alright so y intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## when ##p>\frac{7}{2}##. Okay so let's choose a ##p## value of 3.6 which is ##>\frac{7}{2}##.
Doing the calculations this gives us a y-intercept of -6.2.

Okay y intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## when ##p<-1##. Choosing a ##p## value of -2 which is ##<-1##. Doing the calculations gives us a y-intercept of 5.So concluding from the above, ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0## if ##p<-1##. And ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p<0## if ##p>\frac{7}{2}##.

We want to find the set of values of ##p## for which ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0## which is just if ##p<-1##.

Theodore Hodson said:
Ahh right okay I think I understand. I think I was getting massively confused before. Let me go from near the beginning again. Thanks for bearing with me all this time :)

So we have ##y=(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## and using the discriminant, I've found those values of ##p## for which

##y=(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## has no real roots.

i.e those values of ##p## for which ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0## OR ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p<0##.

And I want to find the range of values of ##p## which will make ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0##.So ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## will be greater than zero or less than zero depending on whether ##p>\frac{7}{2}## or ##p<-1##.

Okay so let's find the y-intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## for a ##p>\frac{7}{2}## and the y intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## for a ##p<-1##.

Depending upon whether the y-intercept is negative or positive it will show us if this range of ##p##-values gives us the totally positive or totally negative version of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p##.

Alright so y intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## when ##p>\frac{7}{2}##. Okay so let's choose a ##p## value of 3.6 which is ##>\frac{7}{2}##.
Doing the calculations this gives us a y-intercept of -6.2.

Okay y intercept of ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p## when ##p<-1##. Choosing a ##p## value of -2 which is ##<-1##. Doing the calculations gives us a y-intercept of 5.So concluding from the above, ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0## if ##p<-1##. And ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p<0## if ##p>\frac{7}{2}##.

We want to find the set of values of ##p## for which ##(2-p)x^2+6x+1-2p>0## which is just if ##p<-1##.
Yes, your final answer is ##\ p<-1\ ## .

Comment:
What you've done by using test points to check on the y-intercept is fine. However, ...

You could be a little more thorough in making sure that ALL of the values for ##\ p<-1\ ## make the y-intercept positive and also making sure that ALL of the values for ##\ p>7/2\ ## make the y-intercept negative. (Actually, these facts should be readily apparent simply by inspection.)

If ##\ p<-1\,,\ ## then multiplying by -2 we know ##\ -2p>2\ ## . Adding 1 gives ##\ 1-2p>3\ ## . So that's fine.

You can handle ##\ p>7/2\ ## similarly.

Have also made an avi video of a simulation in which p is increased from -3 to 4.75 in steps of 0.25 .

I'm not sure how to upload that.

What is an inequality problem?

An inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves comparing two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is a way of showing the relationship between two values that are not equal.

How do I solve an inequality problem?

The first step in solving an inequality problem is to identify the variable and the inequality symbol. Then, you can use various algebraic techniques such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality. The solution is usually expressed as an interval or a set of values.

What are the common types of inequality problems?

The most common types of inequality problems are linear, quadratic, and absolute value inequalities. In linear inequalities, the variable has an exponent of 1. Quadratic inequalities involve a variable with an exponent of 2, and absolute value inequalities have an absolute value expression on one or both sides of the inequality.

What are the key strategies for solving inequality problems?

Some key strategies for solving inequality problems include graphing, using algebraic techniques, and checking the solution. Graphing can help visualize the solution, while algebraic techniques allow for a systematic approach to solving the problem. Checking the solution involves substituting the value back into the original inequality to ensure it satisfies the inequality.

How can I apply inequality problems in real life?

Inequality problems can be used in various real-life situations, such as budgeting, salary negotiations, and determining the minimum or maximum values in a given scenario. For example, when creating a budget, you can use inequalities to compare your income to your expenses to ensure you are not spending more than you earn.