Why Does This Infinite Product Identity Hold for Integer Partitions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1-q^{2n}}{1-q^{n}}=\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1-q^{2n-1}}, which involves understanding the behavior of a partial product. The conversation concludes that in the limit, the product simplifies to 1 on top and odd powers of q in the factors on the bottom.
futurebird

Homework Statement

I am reading about integer partitions. I'm learning a proof and I don't understand what would seem to be a simple step... as the book presents it without comment:

[tex]\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1-q^{2n}}{1-q^{n}}=\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1-q^{2n-1}} [/tex]

The fractions presented are not algebraically equivalent outside of the infinite product... So, it's something about the product that makes this possible. I also know that [tex]|q|<1[/tex]... What is going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at a partial product:

[tex]\left(\frac{1-q^2}{1-q}\right)\left(\frac{1-q^4}{1-q^2}\right)\left(\frac{1-q^6}{1-q^3}\right)\left(\frac{1-q^8}{1-q^4}\right)...[/tex]

At least intuitively, each factor in the numerator is canceled by the corresponding factor in the denominator with q to that same even exponent. So in the limit you are left with 1 on top and odd powers of q in the factors on the bottom.

Thank you so much... I wish I'd seen that, it makes so much sense.

What is an infinite product?

An infinite product is a mathematical expression that involves an infinite number of terms being multiplied together. It is written in the form of ∏n=1∞an, where n is the index of the term and an is the value of the term.

What does it mean to "need help with infinite product"?

To need help with an infinite product means that a person is struggling with finding the value of the product or understanding the concept of infinite products in general. They may need assistance with solving a specific problem or understanding the steps involved in finding the value of an infinite product.

How do you solve an infinite product?

To solve an infinite product, you can use various mathematical techniques such as geometric series, telescoping series, and ratio test. You can also use online calculators or software programs designed specifically for calculating infinite products. It is important to understand the properties of infinite products and the techniques used to evaluate them.

What are the applications of infinite products?

Infinite products have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to represent and approximate functions, calculate probabilities in statistics, and solve differential equations. Infinite products are also used in number theory, combinatorics, and other branches of mathematics.

Are there any real-life examples of infinite products?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of infinite products. One common example is compound interest, where the interest earned on a principal amount is reinvested and added to the original amount, resulting in an infinite product. Another example is the infinite product for calculating the value of pi, which is used in various fields such as computer graphics and statistics.