1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with introductory analysis proof

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1

michael.wes

Gold Member

The question is in Wade's "Introduction to Analysis" 3rd. edition.

Question 1.3.4
    Prove that for all real numbers 'a' and natural numbers 'n' there exists a rational number r_n such that |a - r_n| < 1/n.

(my) Proof:

|a - r_n| < 1/n
    iff -1/n < a-r_n < 1/n
    iff -1/n - a < -r_n < 1/n - a
    iff a - 1/n < r_n < a + 1/n

Certainly, a - 1/n < a + 1/n, and both are real numbers by closure properties of R. Since I already proved that the rational numbers are dense in R, there exists a rational number between a - 1/n and a + 1/n, and we are done.//

Is this a valid proof or am I missing something? If it is correct, it seems that this is no more than an alternate statement of the density of Q in R, but I sense that I could be missing a subtler proof or point. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, one problem is that you are starting with "|a-r_n|< 1/n" which is what you want to prove. You can do that if it is clear that everything you do can be reversed. That is, if this works (I'll let you decide that), then a better proof would be

Given a real number, a, and a natural number, n, since n> 0, 1/n> 0 so a+ 1/n> a and -1/n< 0 so a- 1/n< a. That is, a-1/n< a+ 1/n.

Now, do you have the theorem that "between any two distinct real number there exist another real number"? If so that's exactly what you would need- let r be that number.

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

michael.wes

Gold Member

That's exactly the answer I needed; and yes, I do have the result. Thanks HallsofIvy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook