Need help with introductory analysis proof

In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof for the statement that for all real numbers 'a' and natural numbers 'n', there exists a rational number r_n such that |a - r_n| < 1/n. The proof is given and it is noted that the statement is essentially an alternate version of the density of rational numbers in real numbers. A potential problem with the proof is pointed out and an alternate proof is suggested using the theorem that between any two distinct real numbers, there exists another real number. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of this helpful explanation.
michael.wes
Gold Member
The question is in Wade's "Introduction to Analysis" 3rd. edition.

Question 1.3.4
Prove that for all real numbers 'a' and natural numbers 'n' there exists a rational number r_n such that |a - r_n| < 1/n.

(my) Proof:

|a - r_n| < 1/n
iff -1/n < a-r_n < 1/n
iff -1/n - a < -r_n < 1/n - a
iff a - 1/n < r_n < a + 1/n

Certainly, a - 1/n < a + 1/n, and both are real numbers by closure properties of R. Since I already proved that the rational numbers are dense in R, there exists a rational number between a - 1/n and a + 1/n, and we are done.//

Is this a valid proof or am I missing something? If it is correct, it seems that this is no more than an alternate statement of the density of Q in R, but I sense that I could be missing a subtler proof or point. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one problem is that you are starting with "|a-r_n|< 1/n" which is what you want to prove. You can do that if it is clear that everything you do can be reversed. That is, if this works (I'll let you decide that), then a better proof would be

Given a real number, a, and a natural number, n, since n> 0, 1/n> 0 so a+ 1/n> a and -1/n< 0 so a- 1/n< a. That is, a-1/n< a+ 1/n.

Now, do you have the theorem that "between any two distinct real number there exist another real number"? If so that's exactly what you would need- let r be that number.

That's exactly the answer I needed; and yes, I do have the result. Thanks HallsofIvy!

FAQ: Need help with introductory analysis proof

What is introductory analysis proof?

Introductory analysis proof is a mathematical technique used to prove theorems and propositions in the field of analysis. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical concepts to provide a rigorous and formal proof of a statement.

Why is introductory analysis proof important?

Introductory analysis proof is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications. It also helps to build critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields of science and engineering.

What are some tips for successfully completing an introductory analysis proof?

Some tips for successfully completing an introductory analysis proof include understanding the definitions and concepts involved, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to make connections between different elements of the proof.

How can I improve my skills in introductory analysis proof?

To improve your skills in introductory analysis proof, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from experienced mathematicians or instructors. It can also be helpful to study and analyze existing proofs to understand their structure and techniques used.

Are there any common pitfalls to avoid in introductory analysis proof?

Yes, some common pitfalls to avoid in introductory analysis proof include assuming what you are trying to prove, using incorrect notation or definitions, and not clearly explaining each step of the proof. It is also important to be careful and thorough with calculations and not to overlook any assumptions made in the problem.