1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Momentum and Collisions

1. Jan 7, 2007 #1
    Need help solving this problem
    [​IMG]

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hi, and welcome to PF. Please give your thoughts on the question, before we can help. Better still, use the posting template with which you were provided!

4. Jan 7, 2007 #3
    What is the momentum before the block is released? How about after? Then you can use energy for the second part

5. Jan 7, 2007 #4
    the momentum before the release is 0, and after is 2. I understand that i need to apply conservation of momentum in this problem somehow, but I dont see a way so far.

6. Jan 7, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Conservation of mmtm states that mmtm before=mmtm after. Think of the total system. Before the block starts moving, like you said, pi=0. When the block hits the horizontal surface, the total momentum pf= 0.5*4-v2*m2. (The negative sign appears, since the block moves to the left.) From this you can find the velocity of the wedge.

Can you carry on from here?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  7. Jan 7, 2007 #6
    v2 = 2/3 m/s ( to the left) ?

and for part b, should I use convservation of energy (potential and kinetic) in order to find the height?

8. Jan 7, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've not checked you calculation, but yes, it's to the left.

For b, as you say, you should use conservation of energy.

9. Jan 7, 2007 #8
    thank you very much for your help :smile:

10. Jan 7, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're very welcome! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?