Need help with physics question about relative motian.

In summary, Dagwood and Blondie are driving two identical cars. Blondie is passing Dagwood at twice his speed and they both apply their brakes with equal constant force. Dagwood travels a distance D in a time T while braking. It is not clear whether Blondie would take 2T to stop as she was going twice Dagwood's speed, and further analysis is needed to determine the exact time.
bonbloc

Homework Statement

Dagwood and Blondie are driving two identical cars. Blondie is passing Dagwood at twice his speed. They apply their brakes with equal constant force and stop on the level road. Dagwood travels a distance D in a time T while braking. How long does Blondie take to stop?
b) how far does Blondie travel while stopping?

for question 1a) i got 2 T, because Blondie was going twice Dagwoods speed she would take twice as much time to slow down but i am not sure if i am right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, bonbloc. Welcome to PF!

No freebies here. According to the rules of the forum, you need to complete items 2 and 3 before receiving help.

bonbloc said:
for question 1a) i got 2 T, because Blondie was going twice Dagwoods speed she would take twice as much time to slow down but i am not sure if i am right.

In order to be certain, you need to come up with a good mathematical argument. Does each car have the same deceleration? Can you give a reason for your answer?

Related to Need help with physics question about relative motian.

1. What is relative motion in physics?

Relative motion in physics refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and their frame of reference.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point or a fixed frame of reference. Relative motion, on the other hand, takes into consideration the movement of an object in relation to another moving object or a moving frame of reference.

3. What factors affect relative motion?

The relative motion between two objects can be affected by their velocities, direction of movement, and the position of the observer. It can also be influenced by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity.

4. How do you calculate relative motion?

To calculate relative motion, you need to determine the velocity and direction of the objects involved, as well as the frame of reference. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the resulting relative velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of relative motion?

An example of relative motion is when you are sitting on a train and another train passes by in the opposite direction. From your perspective, the passing train appears to be moving quickly, but from the perspective of someone standing on the ground, both trains are moving at different speeds. Another example is when you are driving a car and you see a pedestrian walking in the same direction as your car. The pedestrian appears to be moving slowly, but from their perspective, they are moving at a constant speed.