Calculating Resistance Force of a Car Driven at 76km/h with 48 kW Engine Power

• Thread starter darkys
  • Start date
In summary, a car is being driven at a constant speed of 76km/h down a road with an engine delivering 48 kW of power. The average force resisting the motion of the car can be calculated using the formula power = force x velocity. Since the car is moving at a constant speed, the net force is zero, meaning the resisting force is equal to the negative force exerted by the engine. Another way to look at it is that all of the engine's power is used to overcome friction, which explains why the car does not accelerate.
darkys
a car is driven at a constant speed of 76km/h down a road. The car's engine delivers 48 kW of power. Calculate the average force that is resisting the motion of the car

any help would be appreciated. I had an idea, but i don't know if its right.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between Power, force and velocity ?

well i was thinking power=w/t, so power=fd/t, d/t is velocity, so power = force x velocity, and i figure out that force. it is asking for resisting force, so it is asking for the frictional force. Since it is constant speed, the net force is zero, so it would just be the negative force of the above force. This is what i was thinking

Well, there you go. :smile:

Another way to look at it would be that all the engine's power is going to overcome friction. This is why the car is not accelerating.

Last edited:
thats right?

Yup yup!

Hmm, 'yup yup!' is too short, so I had to add this bit.

Related to Calculating Resistance Force of a Car Driven at 76km/h with 48 kW Engine Power

What does "Need help with problem please" typically mean?

"Need help with problem please" is a common phrase used when someone is struggling with a problem and is seeking assistance or guidance from others.

Why do people ask for help with problems?

Asking for help with problems is a natural and common behavior. It allows individuals to gain new perspectives, insights, and solutions from others, and can also provide emotional support and reassurance.

What is the best way to ask for help with a problem?

The best way to ask for help with a problem is to clearly and concisely state the issue at hand and provide any relevant information or context. It is also important to be open to different perspectives and willing to listen to the advice or suggestions of others.

What should I do if I can't find anyone to help me with my problem?

If you are unable to find anyone to help you with your problem, there are several options available. You can try reaching out to a different group of people, seeking help online, or seeking professional assistance from a therapist or counselor.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills to avoid needing help in the future?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. Some ways to improve include breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking out different perspectives, and learning from mistakes. It can also be helpful to regularly reflect on problem-solving processes and identify areas for improvement.