Need help with replacing a lead-acid sealed battery with a Lithium Ion battery

• Thread starter banglour
  • Start date
What I am trying to do is replace my 12v 5Ah lead-acid battery with a 14.8v 6600mAh lithium ion battery. It powers a small fan belt. And for some reason I cant get the lithium battery to work. Can somebody tell me what I might be doing wrong, or if it will even work?

Attachments

• DSC05644.jpg
    DSC05644.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC05648.jpg
    DSC05648.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 393

Answers and Replies

#1: Do NOT charge the Lithium battery with the same charger used for the Lead-Acid battery!! This is a potential fire and/or explosion hazard!

As for the problem you're having... assuming the Lithium battery is fully charged, it's possible that the motor has a protection circuit that doesn't like the higher voltage. What exactly happens when you connect the new battery? Does it run if you reconnect the lead-acid battery?

Yes I have a separate charger just for the Lithium battery.

The battery is fully charges and when I connect the lithium battery and turn the motor on it sounds like it actual runs, but just for a split second. Then nothing happens after that. When I connect the lead-acid back up the motor runs just fine. Why is that?

uart
Science Advisor
Sounds some form of protection circuit either in the battery pack or in the motor (or of course a dead battery).

Can you please measure the terminal voltage while you test it. If the terminal voltage drops markedly when the motor stops ("after a split second") then there is a problem with the battery. Either a dead battery or some built in current limiting.

After I start the motor the terminal voltage drops all the way to 00.0. I have a hard time believing that its a dead battery because its brand new. Would it work if I got a smaller Voltage battery?

uart
Science Advisor
Do you have any specifications on the battery pack. Does it have any built in over-current proctection?