Need help with rocket math problem

• Thread starter mekias4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses graphing the function h(v) = Rv^2/2gR-v^2, with given values for radius and acceleration. The speaker also mentions using the concept of escape velocity and using graphing software to plot the function.
mekias4

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired upward from Earth with initial velocity v measured in m/s. Then maximum height in m is reached by the rocket is given by the function h(v)=Rv^2/2gR-v^2
Radius is 6.4(10^6)m and acceleration due to gravity g is 9.8m/s^2 (R and g are constants and v is the independent variable. Graph the function denoting all intercepts, asymptotes, and other points of interest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the escape velocity concept. I then plugged in the numbers given into the function. h(v)=6.4(10^6)(11100)^2/2(9.8)^2(6.4)(10^6)-(11100)^2
Im not sure if this is correct and how to graph with the correct axes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is very hard to read. Either use some more grouping symbols or retype in LaTeX.

Your equation could be read like this:
[tex]h(v)=\frac{Rv^2}{2gR} - v^2[/tex]

or this:
[tex]h(v)=Rv^{2/2gR} - v^2[/tex]

or this:
[tex]h(v)=\frac{Rv^2}{2gR-v^2}[/tex]

and so on.69

the last equation shown is what I meant...sorry

so where's the problems in graphing the equation?
u have the equation, h(v), take the x-axiz for v and y-axis, for h
But the graph will be a little difficult to sketch with ur hand, so u may take help of some graphing software

i couldn't get why u needed to use escape velocity concept or something. wat i see the problem, its just a single variable equation that is to be graphed.
please clarify if i missd or misundstood something.

I used the escape velocity because my teacher gave us a hint using that and told me to look that up. So am I right in plugging in the numbers into the function the way i did above? Yeah I am using grapher to graph the equation. I just want to make sure I plug the correct function into the graph.

1. What is the rocket math problem?

The rocket math problem is a mathematical equation that involves calculating the trajectory, speed, or distance of a rocket. It is often used in physics and engineering to determine the performance of a rocket.

2. How can I solve the rocket math problem?

To solve the rocket math problem, you will need to use mathematical equations and formulas related to physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of projectile motion. It's also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving the rocket math problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the rocket math problem include using the wrong formula, not considering all of the forces acting on the rocket, and not properly converting units of measurement. It's important to double-check your work and pay attention to detail when solving these types of problems.

4. Can you provide an example of a rocket math problem?

Sure, here's an example: A rocket is launched at an initial speed of 50 meters per second and an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. How far will the rocket travel before hitting the ground? This problem involves using the equations for projectile motion to calculate the distance the rocket will travel.

5. What are some real-world applications of the rocket math problem?

The rocket math problem has many real-world applications, including space exploration, missile and rocket design, and even in sports such as javelin throwing. It is also used in fields such as aerospace engineering, astrophysics, and military technology.