Need Help Improving Grades After First University Semester

• Thread starter Cudi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the speaker has completed their first semester of university and did not perform as well as they had hoped due to exhaustion from midterms. They are currently in a phase of doing nothing and are seeking advice on how to change this. They are advised to make a plan and stick to it for at least two weeks, while also incorporating exercise back into their routine. The speaker thanks the person for their help.
Cudi1
Hello pf, i finished my first semester of univ and ended up doing not to the best of my expectations, i had A's and B's prior to final exams but due to the amount of midterms i got tired and didn't have enough energy to study real hard for finals. Right now, I'm still slacking and its hurting me because everyday I'm wasting ... Thus, how do i get out of this phase of doing nothing?
thank you for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been there. Make a plan to change. Write it out on paper and make yourself keep to it for at least two weeks. You'll find some day are easy and others are hard, but both are better than doing nothing. Don't get too discouraged about the little stuff, but always keep your final goal in mind.

thanks for the advice, I think it could be because i no longer play sports whereas i use to play basketball everyday for an hour. I appreciate your help

Cudi1 said:
thanks for the advice, I think it could be because i no longer play sports whereas i use to play basketball everyday for an hour. I appreciate your help

Oh yes, get back to exercising. It settles your mind, helps you concentrate. Good luck!

I understand the importance of setting goals and developing effective study habits to improve academic performance. It is common for students to experience a dip in grades during their first semester of university, as the transition to a more rigorous academic environment can be challenging. However, it is important to address this issue and take proactive steps to improve your grades.

One strategy you could try is to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you are dedicating enough time to studying for each subject. It may also be helpful to break down your study sessions into smaller, more manageable chunks, rather than trying to cram for long periods of time.

Additionally, consider seeking help from your professors or teaching assistants. They are there to support you and can provide valuable insights and resources to help you better understand the material and improve your grades. You may also want to form a study group with classmates to review material and discuss challenging concepts.

Another important aspect to consider is self-care. Make sure you are getting enough rest, eating well, and taking breaks to recharge your energy. This will help you stay focused and motivated during your study sessions.

Lastly, remember that it is normal to experience setbacks and challenges in academic performance. Don't be too hard on yourself and instead, focus on making positive changes moving forward. With determination and a proactive approach, you can overcome this phase and improve your grades. Good luck!

What are some effective study strategies to improve grades after the first university semester?

Some effective study strategies to improve grades after the first university semester include: creating a study schedule and sticking to it, actively engaging in class and taking thorough notes, seeking help from professors or tutors, forming study groups with classmates, and practicing good time management skills.

How can I better manage my time to improve my grades?

To better manage your time and improve your grades, try breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks throughout the day, prioritize your tasks and assignments, and eliminate distractions such as social media or unnecessary commitments. It may also be helpful to use a planner or calendar to keep track of deadlines and due dates.

What resources are available for students struggling with their grades after the first university semester?

There are many resources available for students struggling with their grades after the first university semester. These may include academic support centers, tutoring services, study groups, and online resources such as practice quizzes and study guides. Students can also reach out to their professors for additional help and guidance.

How can I stay motivated to improve my grades after a difficult first semester?

To stay motivated to improve your grades after a difficult first semester, try setting realistic goals for yourself and rewarding yourself when you achieve them. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of your long-term academic and career goals, and to seek support and encouragement from friends, family, or a mentor.

What should I do if my grades are not improving despite my efforts?

If your grades are not improving despite your efforts, it may be helpful to reassess your study strategies and seek advice from a professor or academic advisor. They may be able to offer suggestions or provide additional resources that can help you improve your grades. It can also be beneficial to reflect on any external factors that may be impacting your academic performance and address them accordingly.