Get Expert Help with Homogeneous Equations and Newton's Law of Cooling

• Thread starter aparra2
  • Start date
In summary, the student is seeking help with a problem involving homogeneous equations and Newton's law of cooling. They are unsure of how to start and are looking for hints and guidance. The forum rules require them to show their work before receiving help.
aparra2
hey guys i need help with this problem i tried to figure the out but most are homogeneous equations so i don't even know how to start and the Newtons law of cooling i have no idea wut to do .thanks

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums aparra2. Firstly, please note that all homework/textbook questions like this should be posted in the homework forums. Also note that you need to show your work before we can help you- forum rules.

For this question, your image is not clear, and I can't quite read the questions. Perhaps you could type the equations out? If you do, then I may be able to give you hints; but are you sure you don't know where to start? What do you know about how to solve these type of equations?

Last edited:
Is the first equation
[tex]p\frac{dp}{dt}= 1+ x+ 2y+ 2xy[/tex]?
If so, are we to treat y as a constant?

Is the second equation
[tex](1+ x^2)\frac{dp}{dx}+ 4xp= \frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]?
If so, that is a linear equation. There is a standard formula for finding an "integrating factor". Do you know it?

Is the third equation
[tex](p+ t^2y)\frac{dy}{dx}= 2tdt[/tex]?
If so can we treat p as a constant?

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is a mathematical equation where all the terms have the same degree of the variables. This means that all the terms can be written as a multiple of the same variable or its derivatives. In other words, the equation remains unchanged if all the variables are scaled by the same factor.

2. How do I solve a homogeneous equation?

To solve a homogeneous equation, first set all the terms on one side of the equation equal to 0. Then, substitute y = vx, where v is a constant, into the equation. This will transform the equation into a separable equation, which can be solved using integration. Once the solution is found, substitute back in the original variable to get the final solution.

3. What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which an object's temperature changes while it is in contact with a medium of different temperature. It states that the rate of change of the object's temperature is proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the medium's temperature.

4. How is Newton's law of cooling related to homogeneous equations?

In some cases, Newton's law of cooling can be represented by a homogeneous equation. This is because the temperature of the object and the medium can be considered as two different variables, and the rate of change of the object's temperature is proportional to the difference between these two variables. Therefore, the equation can be reduced to a homogeneous form.

5. Why is it important to get expert help with homogeneous equations and Newton's law of cooling?

Homogeneous equations and Newton's law of cooling can be complex and difficult to solve, especially for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematical concepts. Getting expert help can save time, ensure accuracy, and help with understanding the underlying principles and applications of these equations. It can also be helpful in solving more complex problems that may require a deeper understanding of these concepts.