Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with the integration of attached problem

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    Kindly can someone tell me how can i integrate and plot the following formula as a function of time. while theta is changing from 1 to 20.
    also attached .docx file for convenience. Any kind of help or advice will be highly appreciable.
    integration problem.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where is the problem from? Is it for schoolwork?

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3
    No its in my engineering design problem. I am just stuck here. I need to plot the graph for theta as a function of time. I am not really good in calculus to be honest.
    May be i can use matlab to solve !

5. Jul 9, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What does that mean? An engineering design project for what year in university? An engineering project for work? Where do you work?

6. Jul 10, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would strike me as an obvious first step to use the facts that [itex]sin(20- \theta)= sin(20)cos(\theta)- cos(20)sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]cos(20- \theta)= cos(20)cos(\theta)+ sin(20)sin(\theta)[/itex].

That "20" looks strange for radian measure. If it is in degrees you should remember that [itex]\int sin(x)dx= -cos(x)+ C[/itex] and [itex]\int cos(x)= sin(x)+ C[/itex] only for x measured in radians.

7. Jul 11, 2015 #6
    Yes that 20 is actually 20 degrees. should i convert it into radians which is 0.34906585 radians ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook