How Do You Solve 2/x+2 + 3/2x+1 for x=1/2?

• Thread starter tehmatriks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation revolved around evaluating an expression involving fractions and using parentheses to clarify the order of operations. The correct answer was found to be 2 and three tenths, but there was confusion about how to properly use parentheses in the expression. After receiving clarification and realizing their mistake, the individual expressed gratitude for the help.
tehmatriks
Question is:
Evaluate 2/x+2 + 3/2x+1 when x= ½

back of the book says 2 and three tens i.e 2 3/10

Physics news on Phys.org
Throw some parentheses in there:

2/(x+2) + 3/(2x+1)

and you should get the answer in the back of the book.

i know, i checked the back of the book and it says the answer is 2 3/10

this is how I am doing it:
2/x+2 + 3/2x+1
=> 2/½+2 + 3/2(½)+1
=> 2/2½ + 3/2, get LCM of 2½ and 2, which is 10
=> 10(2)/2½ + 10(3)/2
=> 4(2) + 5(3)
=> 8 + 15 = 23

and i did it another way where i got 1 1/9
but i can't seem to get 2 3/10

tehmatriks said:
i know, i checked the back of the book and it says the answer is 2 3/10
Did you not understand spamiam's comment about parentheses? You seem to have glossed right over it.
tehmatriks said:
this is how I am doing it:
2/x+2 + 3/2x+1
=> 2/½+2 + 3/2(½)+1
=> 2/2½ + 3/2, get LCM of 2½ and 2, which is 10
=> 10(2)/2½ + 10(3)/2
=> 4(2) + 5(3)
=> 8 + 15 = 23
1.Use parentheses when a numerator or denominator (or both) have two or more terms.
2. Do not use => (implies) when you mean = (equals).

If x = 1/2, then 2/(x + 2) + 3/(2x + 1) = 2/(5/2) + 3/2 = 2 * 2/5 + 3/2 = 4/5 + 3/2

Now, the LCM of 5 and 2 is 10, so multiply the first fraction by 2/2 and the second by 5/5. After you do this, you will be able to combine the two fractions.

The answer in the book is correct.

tehmatriks said:
and i did it another way where i got 1 1/9
but i can't seem to get 2 3/10

Mark44 said:
Did you not understand spamiam's comment about parentheses? You seem to have glossed right over it.
nah, i didn't, i had no idea you had to put it in parentheses when you had more than one term in either the numerator or the denominator.

Mark44 said:
1.Use parentheses when a numerator or denominator (or both) have two or more terms.
2. Do not use => (implies) when you mean = (equals).

If x = 1/2, then 2/(x + 2) + 3/(2x + 1) = 2/(5/2) + 3/2 = 2 * 2/5 + 3/2 = 4/5 + 3/2

Now, the LCM of 5 and 2 is 10, so multiply the first fraction by 2/2 and the second by 5/5. After you do this, you will be able to combine the two fractions.

The answer in the book is correct.
nice job, thanks
only bit i don't understand is why and how 2/(½+1) became 2/(5/2)

and i apologize for my idiocy thus far :smile:

no wait, scratch that, i don't understand anything, forget i asked

Last edited:
tehmatriks said:
nah, i didn't, i had no idea you had to put it in parentheses when you had more than one term in either the numerator or the denominator.
The problem is that when you write 2/x + 2 + 3/2x + 1, knowledgeable people will probably interpret this as
[tex]\frac{2}{x} + 2 + \frac{3}{2x} + 1[/tex]

or even as
[tex]\frac{2}{x} + 2 + \frac{3}{2}x + 1[/tex]

which is not at all what you intended.
tehmatriks said:
nice job, thanks
You're welcome!
tehmatriks said:
only bit i don't understand is why and how 2/(½+1) became 2/(5/2)
It didn't, but 2/(1/2 + 2) = 2/(5/2)
tehmatriks said:
and i apologize for my idiocy thus far :smile:
The goal is to get you to learn from your mistakes.

ok I am back, thanks for the help mark, i realized what i was doing wrong, i took it too far, i got the answer pretty much right at the beggining, except it all went downhill when i used the LCM

anyway, preciate the help fellas, I've been trying to figure this out for 6+ hrs and was getting alittle depressed, happy now tho, peace

FAQ: How Do You Solve 2/x+2 + 3/2x+1 for x=1/2?

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and study of symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols. It is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems and understand patterns and relationships in the world around us.

2. What are the basic principles of algebra?

The basic principles of algebra include using symbols to represent variables, combining like terms, using the distributive property, and solving equations using inverse operations.

3. How do I solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until you are left with the variable by itself.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in algebra?

Common mistakes in algebra include not following the correct order of operations, making incorrect assumptions, and not checking your work for errors. It is also important to pay attention to signs and not mix up positive and negative numbers.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your algebra skills. Make sure you understand the basic principles and concepts, and then work on solving a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or utilize online resources and practice problems to supplement your learning.

Back