How Do You Simplify f(x+h) for f(x) = x^3 - 7x^2 + x + 1?

• Thread starter psp101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the function f(x+h) and simplifying it with the given equation f(x)=x^3-7x^2+x+1. The solution involves replacing the x's with x+h and simplifying the equation. There is a clarification about the original equation and the need to subtract the original function, but this is not relevant to the original question.
psp101

Homework Statement

evaluate f(x+h) expand and simplfy f(x)=x^3-7x^2+x+1?

Homework Equations

f(x+h)

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt (f(x+h)+f(x)+1
x^2(x+h)+x+1
x^2(x+7)+x1
im lost I'm not sure how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
Replace the x's with x+h and simplify.

LCKurtz said:
Replace the x's with x+h and simplify.

o really so is it like

f(x)=(x+h)^3-7(x+h)^2+(x+h)+1
then I simplify

psp101 said:
o really so is it like

f(x)=(x+h)^3-7(x+h)^2+(x+h)+1
then I simplify

Yes.

J-Girl said:
yeah but the original equation is usually set up at(when u are evaluating the limit) (x+h)-f(x), so you have to minus the original function from the (x+h)^3-7(x+h)^2+(x+h)+1, you will just end up with the first derivative.

No you won't. There is more to it than that, and that's not what psp101 asked anyway.

Related to How Do You Simplify f(x+h) for f(x) = x^3 - 7x^2 + x + 1?

1. What does "function" mean in this context?

"Function" refers to a block of code that is designed to perform a specific task. It can take in inputs, perform operations, and return a result.

2. How do I know which function to use?

The function you need to use depends on the specific task you are trying to accomplish. You can refer to the documentation for the programming language you are using or do a quick internet search for functions that perform the specific task you need.

3. What is the difference between a built-in function and a user-defined function?

A built-in function is a pre-defined function that is already available in the programming language you are using. A user-defined function is created by the programmer to perform a specific task that is not already built into the language.

4. How do I call a function?

To call a function, you need to use its name followed by parentheses that may contain any necessary arguments. For example, if you have a function called "add" that takes in two numbers, you would call it like this: add(3, 5).

5. Can a function call another function?

Yes, a function can call another function. This is known as function composition, where the output of one function becomes the input for another function. This allows for more complex tasks to be broken down into smaller, more manageable functions.