Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with where i can get a switch.

  1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    i need an on/off toggle switch for my bilge bump on my jet ski. But, the mounting panel is about 2 inches thick where the fiberglass is. the stem could be short but the threaded (back part) needs to be about 2 inches long in order to fit. I also need a platic or waterproof cover for it to keep it water tight. I have look on MCM electronics, Radio shaft, and switches unlimited but no luck. anyone know where i can find one? thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Can you not just use any ole toggle swith? I mean, could you not use something shorter, and just run longer wires to make up the difference?

    Also, have you checked with the manufacturer of your Jet ski? You might try taking the old switch to an auto parts store.
  4. Jul 26, 2004 #3
    a regular toggle switch will not work because there will be no way to get the connection part in the hole and tighten the backing nut. it is an aftermarket bilge system so the jet ski manufacturer wont have any info on it.
  5. Jul 27, 2004 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    What kind of jet ski is it?

    Who makes the bilge pump?
    (have you checked with the pump manufacturer to ask for replacement parts?)

    Any identifying numbers on the switch?
    If so, what are they?
  6. Jul 27, 2004 #5


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    Fry's, possibly. There's a place here in the DFW area called Tanner Electronics that carries a wide assortment. Perhaps Mauser.
  7. Jul 27, 2004 #6
    Try a marine supply. They will have push-pull switches, similar to the old auto starter switches, that have long shanks. That is a very common problem in boats, the panels are very thick.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook