Solving a Symbolic Logic Problem: A V D and ~(B ^ C) = D

• Thread starter Ejayrazz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in symbolic logic and the attempt to solve it through a series of assumptions and deductions. The issue at hand is how to obtain the disjunction elimination for A in the second sub-derivation. However, one possible solution involves assuming B, which leads to a contradiction and therefore does not provide a clear answer.
Ejayrazz
Perchance someone here has some background in Philosophy, specifically symbolic logic? For the life of me I can't figure out the following:

A v D
(~B ^ ~C) = D
B => ~(C=> A)
~B

What I have so far is this:

1| A v D ......P
2| (~B ^ ~C) = D ....P
3| B => ~(C =>A) ...P
4| |B ......A
5| | |C .......A
r| | |?
s| | |?
t| | |?
u| | |?
v| | |A ........1, ?-?, ?-?, vE
w| | C=>A ......5-v, =>I
x| | B => ~(C =>A) ...2, R
y| | ~(C =>A) .....w, x, =>E
z| ~B ......4, w, y, ~I

What I can't figure out is how to get the disjunction elimination for A in the second sub-derivation. Anyone have a clue?

Logicproblem1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about what you're doing as I have limited experience with this kind of thing, but as far as I can tell, if you assume B you get a contradiction:

B => C ^ ~A (equivalent to proposition 3)
~A => ~B ^ ~C (props 1 and 2)
So, you get B => C ^ ~C (or B => ~B...either way).

Or is that way off?

What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a branch of logic that uses symbols and formal rules to represent and manipulate logical statements and arguments. It is used to analyze the structure and validity of arguments, and to determine the truth or falsity of statements.

How is symbolic logic different from traditional logic?

Traditional logic, also known as Aristotelian logic, primarily uses natural language to express and evaluate arguments. Symbolic logic, on the other hand, uses symbols and formal rules to represent and analyze logical statements and arguments, making it more precise and rigorous.

What are the benefits of using symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic allows for the analysis of complex arguments with multiple premises and conclusions, and it can reveal logical fallacies and inconsistencies that may not be immediately apparent in natural language. It also provides a standardized and systematic method for evaluating arguments.

What are some common symbols used in symbolic logic?

Some common symbols used in symbolic logic include logical operators such as "and" (∧), "or" (∨), "not" (¬), and "if/then" (→), as well as quantifiers such as "for all" (∀) and "there exists" (∃).

How is symbolic logic used in scientific research?

Symbolic logic is often used in scientific research to analyze and evaluate complex arguments and to construct logical proofs. It is also used in fields such as computer science and mathematics to develop formal systems and algorithms.