Is Bi2Te3 Rhombohedral or Hexagonal, and How Do You Analyze Its XRD Data?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking urgent information about the crystal structure and calculations related to Bi2Te3. They ask about the crystal structure, grain size calculation, and lattice parameter calculation. Another person responds, explaining that Bi2Te3 can have both Rhombohedral and Hexagonal structures and providing equations for calculating grain size and lattice parameters. The conversation ends with the initial person thanking the responder for their information.
mahedi
need urgent information

Dear All,

Can anyone inform me the following things on urgent basis ?

- The crystal structure of Bi2Te3 is Rhombohedral or Hexagonal ?
- How can I calculate the grain size from the XRD data/curve for Bi2Te3 ?
- how to calculate the lattice parameter of Bi2Te3 (Rhombohedral/Hexagonal crystal structure) from the XRD data/curve ?

Providing such information would be very much helpful to me.

Sincerely
Mahedi

Chemistry news on Phys.org

not so sure about your first question, Bi2Te3 can posses both structures..
to calculate the grain size [g]:
g=0.9λ/Bcosθ
where,
0.9 is the shape factor
λ is the wavelength of the Cu Kα1 radiation [λ =1.5406×10-10 m]
B is the band width at half maximum [BWHM], and here’s how to get it:
in the diffraction pattern and at an exact Bragg angle, find the maximum intensity value, divide it by 2, you would have 2 points with the same value on both sids of the peak [illustrated below]:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5416/31327198.png

B= 2θ2-2θ1 [B should be measured in Radians]

To find the lattice parameters, you use two equations
1] Bragg’s law:

n λ= 2d(hkl)sinθ
set n=1

2] the function that describe the inter-planar distance [d] as a function of the unit cell parameters and Miller indices, h, k and l. i.e. in the case of the hexagonal system:

1/d2(hkl)=4/3[h2+hk+k2]/a2 + l2/c2

hope I’m helping, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your kind information regarding my inquiry. Sorry for late reply as I was in vacation.

1. What is Bi2Te3?

Bi2Te3 is a compound made up of two atoms of bismuth and three atoms of tellurium. It is commonly used in thermoelectric devices due to its ability to convert heat into electricity.

2. What are the properties of Bi2Te3?

Bi2Te3 is a semiconducting material with a layered crystal structure. It has a high electrical conductivity and low thermal conductivity, making it useful for thermoelectric applications. It is also a topological insulator, which means it has unique electronic properties that make it useful for quantum computing.

3. How is Bi2Te3 used?

Bi2Te3 is commonly used in thermoelectric devices, such as power generators and cooling systems. It is also used in the production of topological insulator materials for quantum computing and other advanced electronic devices.

4. Is Bi2Te3 toxic?

No, Bi2Te3 is not considered toxic. It is a stable compound and does not pose any significant health risks. However, like any other material, proper safety precautions should be taken when handling it.

5. Where can I find more information on Bi2Te3?

There are many resources available online and in scientific literature about Bi2Te3. Some reputable sources include scientific journals, research papers, and government websites. You can also consult with experts in the field of materials science or thermoelectricity for more information.