Need some advice on this Electric Field question

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the electric field needed to balance the weight of an electron and a proton. The equations used are W=mg and E=F/q, and the direction of the electric field (up or down) can be determined by looking at the signs in the equation W+qE=0.
whatisphysics

Homework Statement

What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field that will balance the weight of an
a)electron b)proton?

Homework Equations

W=mg
E=F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did:

W=mg=F
so E=mg/q

My only question is, since W is downward, when I do my calculations, do I have to make it:
W=-mg=F
or do I simply just put it as W=+mg

If yes, why do i put it as +, or why do i leave it as negative, this is what I'm a bit confused about.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi whatisphysics! :smile:

the question asks …
whatisphysics said:
What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field that will balance the weight of …

… so you need to give the direction of E, ie "up" or "down" :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi whatisphysics! :smile:

the question asks …

… so you need to give the direction of E, ie "up" or "down" :wink:

That's the thing, I don't know if when I'm calculating the force acted by the gravity, which is W=mg, whether it should be a Positive or a Negative. I know how to do the calculations, I am just a little bit confused about the signs for W=mg.

Thanks for replying so fast!

hmm … you're confusing me also! :redface:

if the up direction is positive, then W = -mg

if the down direction is positive, then W = +mg …

it's up (or down! :wink:) to you which direction you choose to be positive

alternatively, just say W + qE = 0, and then just by looking at the signs in that equation, you should be able to see whether E is parallel or opposite to gravity :smile:

I would advise the student to keep in mind that the weight of an object is always directed towards the center of the Earth, which is considered to be the negative direction. Therefore, when calculating the electric field that balances the weight of an electron or proton, it is important to take into account the direction of the weight and assign it a negative sign. This is because the electric field must be in the opposite direction of the weight in order to balance it. So in this case, the correct equation would be E = -mg/q.

Additionally, it is important to remember that the electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the electric field for an electron will be opposite to that of a proton, since they have opposite charges. Therefore, for an electron, the electric field will be directed upwards, while for a proton it will be directed downwards.

I would also suggest reviewing the concept of electric fields and weight, as well as practicing more examples to gain a better understanding of how to approach these types of questions. It is always helpful to draw diagrams and visualize the situation to better understand the direction and magnitude of the electric field.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it describes the force that a charged particle would experience at a particular point in space.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The strength of an electric field is determined by the amount and distribution of electric charges in the surrounding space. To calculate the electric field at a specific point, you would use Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle at a particular point, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a particular point. In other words, the electric field determines the force on a charged particle, while the electric potential determines the potential energy of a charged particle at a given point.

4. How does the presence of an electric field affect charged particles?

Charged particles will experience a force when they are in an electric field. This force will cause the particles to accelerate in the direction of the electric field if they are positive, and in the opposite direction if they are negative. This is why charged particles move in a specific direction when placed in an electric field.

5. Can an electric field exist without any charged particles?

No, an electric field cannot exist without any charged particles. Electric fields are created by the presence of electric charges, and without any charges, there would be no electric field. However, electric fields can exist in empty space, as they do not require physical matter to exist.