Need some advice on uncertainties

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average and uncertainty for a set of data consisting of 10 numbers. The method used for calculating the uncertainty is based on the range of the numbers, which may not be the most accurate approach. The standard deviation method is also mentioned as an alternative and may provide a more reliable result. However, the ambiguity of the question and the lack of additional information make it difficult to determine the most appropriate method.
lemonysage
Hi, I have been given a random set of data. 10 numbers.

The question says.
1. Calculate the average of the data... No problem I can do that, my answer is 122.4
2. Determine the uncertainty for the average value. < This is the part that blows my mind. There are literally hundreds of methods for this and I am not sure what to use... My working out so far is as follows:

Using the information in this link.
http://virgo-physics.sas.upenn.edu/uglabs/lab_manual/Error_Analysis.pdf

It says.

The uncertainty in the each measurement is (Max-min)/2
The uncertainty in the the average = uncertainty in each measurement/(sqrt(N))
which is 23/(sqrt10) = 7.27 or 7.

answer to the whole question = 122 +/- 7

Am I thinking about this correctly? or missing it completely?

Physics news on Phys.org
lemonysage said:
There are literally hundreds of methods for this and I am not sure what to use...

If this is for a class assignment, can you ask your instructor which method he/she prefers?

I usually use the method on page 6 of the document that you linked (the one for "large data sets") even if the data set is small, just so I have only one set of formulas to remember. However, I think the method you used (from page 4) is probably "good enough" for small data sets, and it's certainly simpler to calculate.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
If this is for a class assignment, can you ask your instructor which method he/she prefers?

I usually use the method on page 6 of the document that you linked (the one for "large data sets") even if the data set is small, just so I have only one set of formulas to remember. However, I think the method you used (from page 4) is probably "good enough" for small data sets, and it's certainly simpler to calculate.

Thank you for replying, my first question to the instructor was can you please provide a bit more information? and they told me that this was all that would be given.

Would you consider those numbers consistent? because one variation would be to select 0.5 as the uncertainty for the single measurements. what do you think?

I would have expected some multiple, like 1, of the standard deviation. But 7 is only half of 1 sdev for these numbers, so 7 seems rather low to me.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I would have expected some multiple, like 1, of the standard deviation. But 7 is only half of 1 sdev for these numbers, so 7 seems rather low to me.

Do you think the number should be bigger?

lemonysage said:
Do you think the number should be bigger?
I looked at the reference you posted, and you seem to have followed that correctly. Coming from the theoretical side, I find the idea of using the range of the numbers this way rather unsatisfactory. There's all that information of how the other numbers are scattered in between that's hardly being used (only for the mean). The values of the max and min observations have quite a broad distribution, so relying on them to compute the uncertainty really doesn't look good. But I deduce from your link that this is common practice (yuk).
Anyway, I compared the result with (what is to me) the more standard approach of calculating the standard deviation. [There are actually two different sdevs that can be computed from a set of numbers. One represents the scatter of the numbers, while the other is more geared to figuring out how the mean of the numbers is likely to differ from the 'real' answer. It's a relatively minor difference, only a factor of √0.9 in this case.]
From these numbers, using the second of the above, I get 14. For a Normal distribution, one sdev from the mean (+/-) encompasses 68% of the probability. I.e. there's a 68% chance that the real value is within +/-14 of the mean of this sample. The +/-7 range only gives a 40% chance of including the real value.
So it depends what you think is meant by 'uncertainty'.

haruspex said:
I looked at the reference you posted, and you seem to have followed that correctly. Coming from the theoretical side, I find the idea of using the range of the numbers this way rather unsatisfactory. There's all that information of how the other numbers are scattered in between that's hardly being used (only for the mean). The values of the max and min observations have quite a broad distribution, so relying on them to compute the uncertainty really doesn't look good. But I deduce from your link that this is common practice (yuk).
Anyway, I compared the result with (what is to me) the more standard approach of calculating the standard deviation. [There are actually two different sdevs that can be computed from a set of numbers. One represents the scatter of the numbers, while the other is more geared to figuring out how the mean of the numbers is likely to differ from the 'real' answer. It's a relatively minor difference, only a factor of √0.9 in this case.]
From these numbers, using the second of the above, I get 14. For a Normal distribution, one sdev from the mean (+/-) encompasses 68% of the probability. I.e. there's a 68% chance that the real value is within +/-14 of the mean of this sample. The +/-7 range only gives a 40% chance of including the real value.
So it depends what you think is meant by 'uncertainty'.

Thanks for your detailed reply, I believe you have hit the nail on the head, The question is so ambiguous. I asked for more information; I was told that enough was given...

1. What is an uncertainty?

An uncertainty refers to the degree of doubt or lack of precision in a measurement or calculation. It indicates the potential range of values that a result may fall within due to limitations in the measurement process or variability in the data.

2. Why is it important to consider uncertainties?

Considering uncertainties is crucial for accurately interpreting and communicating scientific data. It helps to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the limitations and potential errors in the results, and allows for more informed decision making.

3. How do you calculate uncertainties?

The calculation of uncertainties varies depending on the type of measurement or data being analyzed. In general, it involves identifying and quantifying all sources of error or variability, and then combining these values using statistical methods to determine the overall uncertainty. This can be a complex process and may require specialized software or expertise.

4. Can uncertainties be reduced?

Uncertainties cannot be completely eliminated, but they can be reduced through careful experimental design, precise measurements, and thorough data analysis. It is important to continually assess and minimize sources of error in order to reduce uncertainties as much as possible.

5. How can uncertainties affect the validity of scientific findings?

Uncertainties can have a significant impact on the validity of scientific findings. If the uncertainties are not properly accounted for, it can lead to incorrect conclusions being drawn or inaccurate predictions being made. Therefore, it is important for scientists to accurately quantify and communicate uncertainties in their research to ensure the validity and reliability of their findings.