Need some help with this integral

• Thread starter Grogs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a specific integral and its solution, which was found using integrals.com. The speaker expresses a desire to be able to solve the integral by hand, but is having trouble using integration by parts or u substitution. Another person suggests using partial fractions decomposition to simplify the solution.
Grogs
I ran into the following (general form) integral today while working on an engineering problem:

[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{x (a \sqrt{x} +b)}
[/tex]

I ran it through 'integrals.com' and came up with the following solution:

[tex]
\frac {\ln{x} - 2 \ln{(a \sqrt{x} + b)}}{b}
[/tex]

which is fine for the purpose of solving the problem, but I'd like to be able to work it by hand. I tried integration by parts, but any choice of u and dv I could think of only made it messier. I also couldn't think of an appropriate u substitution.

Thanks in advance,

Grogs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try [itex]u=\sqrt{x}[/itex]
With the use of partial fractions decomposition, the result easily follows.

Thanks arildno.

Partial fractions is one of those skills I relearn once a year or so when I need to do a LaPlace Transform and then quickly forget.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental part of calculus and is used to solve problems related to finding the total amount of something over a given interval.

Why do we need to solve integrals?

Integrals are used in many areas of science and engineering to solve complex problems related to quantities that continuously change over time. They are also used to calculate important values such as volume, area, and displacement.

What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. A definite integral has defined limits and gives a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a general solution to a problem.

How do I solve an integral?

The process of solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of the function, which is the function that when differentiated, gives the original function. This can be done using various techniques such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution.

Can integrals be solved without calculus?

No, integrals cannot be solved without calculus. Calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integrals, derivatives, and limits. It provides the tools and techniques necessary to solve complex integrals and is a crucial part of many scientific fields.