Need the derivation/proof of the method

• Thread starter Chaos_Enlightened
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, to find the square root of a quadratic surd, which can be written as a + √b, equate it to the square of a number in the form √x + √y. This will result in a system of equations where a and b can be solved for by comparing terms. Alternatively, one can think of the quadratic surd as a square and equate it to the form m^2 + n^2 + 2mn, where m and n represent the rational and irrational parts, respectively.
Chaos_Enlightened

Homework Statement

The method given in my book is to find the square root of a quadric surds is to :
Consider a and b where both are rational and √b is a surd
Equate the square root of a+√b to √x+√y
ie (a+√b)^(1/2)=√x+√y
Squaring both sides we get a=x+y and b=2√xy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped how can we take √x+√y

Physics news on Phys.org
Chaos_Enlightened said:

Homework Statement

The method given in my book is to find the square root of a quadric surds is to :
Consider a and b where both are rational and √b is a surd
Equate the square root of a+√b to √x+√y
ie (a+√b)^(1/2)=√x+√y
Squaring both sides we get a=x+y and b=2√xy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped how can we take √x+√y
I don't understand your question here (in part 3).

Is there more to this method than you have shown? Does you book say anything more about x and y?

Also, when you write "the square root of a quadric surds" do you mean "quadratic surd"?

Yes I mean quadratic (mistake) and I mean that I don't understand where does the √x+√y come from (are we considering the value of (a+√b)^(1/2) as √x +√y?)

A quadratic surd can be written as [itex] a + \sqrt(b) [/itex] and the problem is to find the square root of the surd. The quadratic surd will be the square of some number of the form
[itex] \sqrt(x) + \sqrt(y) [/itex]. Thus you equate [itex] a + \sqrt(b) [/itex] [itex] (\sqrt(x) + \sqrt(y))^2 [/itex] . Compare terms to get the value of a and b.

You can also think of it this way. We know that [itex] (m + n)^2 = m^2 + n^2 + 2mn [/itex] . Since [itex] a + \sqrt(b) [/itex] is a square it must be of the form [itex] m^2 + n^2 + 2mn [/itex] . We are dealing only with quadratic surds here so 2mn must be the irrational part of the square and m^2 + n^2 must be the rational part (since m and n can be at most quadratic surds).

Last edited:
Thank you mastermind01 it was helpful

Related to Need the derivation/proof of the method

1. What is the purpose of deriving/proofing a method?

The purpose of deriving/proofing a method is to provide a logical and mathematical justification for why the method works. It helps to establish the validity and reliability of the method and ensures that it produces accurate and consistent results.

2. How do you derive/proof a method?

To derive/proof a method, you must thoroughly analyze its underlying principles and assumptions. This involves using mathematical equations and logical reasoning to show how the method produces the desired outcome. It may also require experimentation and testing to validate the results.

3. Why is it important to have a derivation/proof of a method?

Having a derivation/proof of a method is important because it allows other scientists to understand and replicate the method. It also helps to identify any potential flaws or limitations in the method, allowing for further improvements and advancements.

4. How long does it take to derive/proof a method?

The time it takes to derive/proof a method can vary depending on the complexity of the method and its underlying principles. It may take anywhere from a few days to several months or even years, depending on the scope of the research and the availability of resources.

5. Can a method be derived/proved to be incorrect?

Yes, a method can be derived/proved to be incorrect. This is why it is essential to undergo rigorous and thorough testing and validation before accepting a method as valid. If an error or flaw is found in the derivation/proof, it may indicate that the method needs to be revised or abandoned altogether.