Need to find online classical mechanics course

In summary, if you are looking for an online classical mechanics course, there are a variety of options available. Many universities and online learning platforms offer comprehensive courses that cover the principles and applications of classical mechanics. These courses typically include lectures, videos, and interactive exercises to help students understand the concepts and equations involved. Some courses may also include virtual labs and problem sets to further enhance the learning experience. With the convenience of online learning, students can access these courses from anywhere and at their own pace, making it an ideal option for those interested in studying classical mechanics.
rpoole
Hi, I'm currently a physics major attempting to earn my bachelor's degree. I was just told by the tiny physics department at my school that they won't be offering the classical mechanics course that I need in order to graduate before that fateful date, they suggested that I add an additional year as they "probably" will have it available then. Anyway, I'm in a bit of a jam and need to find an online course to fill that void as the only other school nearby that has it is well over 1000$ per credit, something I frankly can't afford (especially since financial aid would be sketchy as its only one course from that school). Please help!
Thank you in advance,
Renae

Physics news on Phys.org
Might be a bad suggestion but maybe you can arrange with your college to defer your current studies until that class becomes available. As long as they offer your current classes then too and you can get a refund.

Last edited:
Renae, did you ever find an online classical mechanics class? I'm having the same problem, and the class isn't offered again here until fall 2014. It's the ONLY class that I still need to graduate after this semester.

I found a course from the "Norwegian University of Science and Technology" (NTNU), that is taught in English.

You can look at the info from the course "TFY4345 - Classical Mechanics" (and also check the different tabs under the course name to see other resources) here: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TFY4345#tab=omEmnet

Be sure to read the "Lecturer's page" (Lecture notes, exercises and solutions, etc.): http://folk.ntnu.no/jacobrun/teaching.html

You can (also) find the videos here:
http://video.adm.ntnu.no/openVideo/serier/4fe2d4d3dcfd3
or
http://video.adm.ntnu.no/openVideo/pres/5023801aa7d60

If you have trouble with the language displayed (not being English, for example), you can go to the lower right corner and choose the language from a drop-down menu (with a Google icon), or sometimes (when there is no drop-down menu) you can click at a small "United Kingdom" flag at the upper right corner of the page.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Err... back up a bit everyone!

First of all, check with your school if they will accept the credit taken with such an online course!. Don't you think it will be a colossal waste of time, effort, and money to dive into such a thing, and then to find out that your school will NOT give you credit/transfer credit for such a course?!

You need to seriously check if (i) they will allow such transfer credit AND (ii) they will accept coursework from a particular online program. Some schools will only accept online course from only a small number of schools.

It is premature to consider this option without first talking to your academic advisor and see if this is even a viable option in the first place!

Zz.

You could look into the Classical Mechanics lectures of Prof. V. Balakrishnan of IIT. They series constitutes of 38 lectures and covers Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics with a lot of mathematical rigour. I'm sorry for not being able to provide the links since accessing youtube in my country is problematic sometimes.

Is this a formal course, that IIT will give you academic credit for, if you take it online and pass exams in it? This is what the OP was looking for.

The only thing I have found is at UNC. It's super expensive, but my department head said it looks like it should cover everything necessary to grant transfer credits

1. What is a classical mechanics course?

A classical mechanics course is a course that covers the fundamental principles of physics that govern the motion of objects. It includes topics such as kinematics, dynamics, and energy.

2. Why would I need to take an online classical mechanics course?

Taking an online classical mechanics course can be beneficial for individuals who want to gain a deeper understanding of how the physical world works, or for students who need to fulfill a requirement for their degree program. Online courses offer flexibility and convenience, allowing students to learn at their own pace from anywhere with an internet connection.

3. What are the prerequisites for an online classical mechanics course?

The prerequisites for an online classical mechanics course may vary depending on the institution offering the course. However, most courses will require a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. Some courses may also require a basic understanding of physics concepts, such as forces and motion.

4. Can I get college credit for taking an online classical mechanics course?

Yes, many accredited institutions offer online classical mechanics courses that can count towards college credit. It is important to check with your institution beforehand to ensure that the course will transfer and fulfill any degree requirements.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available to supplement the course material?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to supplement the course material. These may include interactive simulations, practice problems, and video lectures. Some courses may also offer online discussion forums or virtual office hours with the instructor for additional support.