Need to know how to solve for test

• Thread starter kiarrahannice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the maximum amount a spring can be stretched while a 2.0kg box remains at rest on an inclined plank with an angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. The solution involves finding the forces on the box and using the sum of forces equal to zero to solve for the stretch. The answer is 6.6cm and to find the force, the mg force needs to be resolved into components and the friction forces can be used to find the stretch.
kiarrahannice
A 2.0kg box rests on a plank that is inclined at a angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. The upper end of the box is attached to a spring with a force constant of 295 N/m. If the coefficient of the static friction between the box and the plank is 0.19, what is the maximum amount the spring can be stretched and the box remain at rest?

Can someone show me how to complete this problem. The answer is 6.6cm however I don't know to get there. thanks

I also know that I have to find force and divide that by 295N/M to get answer can someone help me find force please! What numbers do I use

Physics news on Phys.org
Get expressions for the forces on the box in the direction of the plank. You'll need to resolve the mg force into a component along the plank and another perpendicular to the plank that you can use to find the friction forces. Set the sum of the forces equal to zero - the point where it will just begin to move. That should allow you to solve for the stretch.

To solve this problem, we will use the principles of static equilibrium and Hooke's Law.

First, we need to draw a free body diagram of the box to identify all the forces acting on it. The weight of the box (mg) acts downwards, while the normal force (N) from the plank acts upwards. Additionally, there is a static friction force (fs) acting on the box in the opposite direction of its motion. The spring force (Fs) also acts upwards, as it is attached to the upper end of the box.

Next, we need to set up an equation for the sum of forces in the vertical direction. This will allow us to solve for the normal force.

ΣFy = N - mg = 0

N = mg

Now, we can set up an equation for the sum of forces in the horizontal direction. This will allow us to solve for the static friction force.

ΣFx = fs - Fs = 0

fs = Fs

To find the maximum amount the spring can be stretched, we need to find the maximum value of fs. This occurs when the box is on the verge of slipping, so the static friction force is at its maximum value. We can calculate this using the formula for static friction:

fs = μN

where μ is the coefficient of static friction. Substituting in our values, we get:

fs = 0.19(mg)

Next, we need to find the spring force (Fs) using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.

Fs = kx

where k is the force constant of the spring and x is the distance the spring is stretched. In this case, x is also the maximum amount the spring can be stretched before the box starts to move.

Substituting in our values, we get:

Fs = (295 N/m)(x)

Now, we can set up an equation for the sum of forces in the vertical direction to find the maximum amount the spring can be stretched:

ΣFy = fs + Fs - mg = 0

Substituting in our values, we get:

0.19(mg) + (295 N/m)(x) - mg = 0

Solving for x, we get:

x = (0.19mg)/(295 N/m)

Substituting in the value for mg (mass x gravity), we

FAQ: Need to know how to solve for test

1. How do I solve for test?

Solving for a test involves understanding the problem, identifying the appropriate formula or method to use, and plugging in the given values to calculate the answer. It's important to practice and understand the concepts and equations before attempting to solve a test.

2. What are some strategies for solving test problems?

Some strategies for solving test problems include identifying key words or phrases, organizing the information given in the problem, using diagrams or visuals, and checking your work for errors. It's also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for tests?

Improving problem-solving skills for tests involves practicing and understanding the subject matter, actively engaging in class and asking questions, and seeking help if needed. It's also important to manage your time effectively during a test and to stay calm and focused.

4. Is it important to show my work when solving a test problem?

Yes, it's important to show your work when solving a test problem. This not only helps you keep track of your steps and calculations, but it also allows the instructor to see your thought process and give partial credit if you make a mistake.

5. Can I use a calculator when solving for a test?

It depends on the test and the instructor's guidelines. Some tests may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It's important to read the instructions carefully and to only use a calculator when it's allowed.

Back