1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to place independent values from 0 to 100

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    mentor note: moved from General Math to here hence no template (OP is not a student)

Hello,

Need some math help on a problem I am facing. I need to take 2 resultant values and frame them within a range of 0 to 100.

Values - t, x
    f(y) = t/x where t= time, x = power

I need to have the calculation independent of other values (std. dev, mean, etc.).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried plotting your data to see if you can find the values graphically?

Also can you explain more of what you are trying to do? The f(y) means that your function is dependent on y but your variables are stated as x and t

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is as clear as mud.
    Are t and x resultant values? Resultant from what?
    Is t/x a resultant value? How come there are only 2?
    Please try to explain in much greater detail.

5. Aug 5, 2016 #4
    Ok, so here's what I'm doing with the numbers

Example -
    Workout #1
    Mass Moved - 8657 rep,kgs
    (I'm using the repetitions as my distance since different movements have different paths of travel, heights, etc.)
    Score - 673 seconds

I've been taking the rep-mass and dividing by the time in seconds, then multiplying by 100 to get a large number.
    In this case the result is 1286 repkgs/second.

The resultant equation in this case is f(t) = 144.3/t
    This is from f(t) = 8657/(60*t), where t is the time in minutes
    The equation plots a rectangular hyperbola

I want to see if there is a way to take a number like this and scale it from 0 to 100.
    I have a standard dev, mean, high score and low score from the data I've been tracking, however I would like to take a resultant number and translate it to a score from 0 to 100. That way its an easy to digest number.

Hopefully this helps!
    Thanks

6. Aug 5, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The obvious problem is that there is no hard upper limit to the numbers, so if you scale it linearly there is a risk of exceeding 100.
    You could get around that with a nonlinear scale, so that infinity maps to 100 (but zero still maps to zero). E.g. ##\frac{100x}{x+1}##.
    A more sophisticated mapping might be able to preserve the mean and variance, or maybe map those to some preferred fixed points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted