Need to place independent values from 0 to 100

• Thread starter DGator86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Independent
In summary, mentor suggests plotting data to see if values are graphed and then trying to take a resultant number and translating it to a score from 0 to 100.
DGator86
mentor note: moved from General Math to here hence no template (OP is not a student)

Hello,

Need some math help on a problem I am facing. I need to take 2 resultant values and frame them within a range of 0 to 100.

Values - t, x
f(y) = t/x where t= time, x = power

I need to have the calculation independent of other values (std. dev, mean, etc.).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plotting your data to see if you can find the values graphically?

Also can you explain more of what you are trying to do? The f(y) means that your function is dependent on y but your variables are stated as x and t

DGator86 said:
mentor note: moved from General Math to here hence no template (OP is not a student)

Hello,

Need some math help on a problem I am facing. I need to take 2 resultant values and frame them within a range of 0 to 100.

Values - t, x
f(y) = t/x where t= time, x = power

I need to have the calculation independent of other values (std. dev, mean, etc.).

Thanks for your help!
This is as clear as mud.
Are t and x resultant values? Resultant from what?
Is t/x a resultant value? How come there are only 2?
Please try to explain in much greater detail.

Ok, so here's what I'm doing with the numbers

Example -
Workout #1
Mass Moved - 8657 rep,kgs
(I'm using the repetitions as my distance since different movements have different paths of travel, heights, etc.)
Score - 673 seconds

I've been taking the rep-mass and dividing by the time in seconds, then multiplying by 100 to get a large number.
In this case the result is 1286 repkgs/second.

The resultant equation in this case is f(t) = 144.3/t
This is from f(t) = 8657/(60*t), where t is the time in minutes
The equation plots a rectangular hyperbola

I want to see if there is a way to take a number like this and scale it from 0 to 100.
I have a standard dev, mean, high score and low score from the data I've been tracking, however I would like to take a resultant number and translate it to a score from 0 to 100. That way its an easy to digest number.

Hopefully this helps!
Thanks

DGator86 said:
Ok, so here's what I'm doing with the numbers

Example -
Workout #1
Mass Moved - 8657 rep,kgs
(I'm using the repetitions as my distance since different movements have different paths of travel, heights, etc.)
Score - 673 seconds

I've been taking the rep-mass and dividing by the time in seconds, then multiplying by 100 to get a large number.
In this case the result is 1286 repkgs/second.

The resultant equation in this case is f(t) = 144.3/t
This is from f(t) = 8657/(60*t), where t is the time in minutes
The equation plots a rectangular hyperbola

I want to see if there is a way to take a number like this and scale it from 0 to 100.
I have a standard dev, mean, high score and low score from the data I've been tracking, however I would like to take a resultant number and translate it to a score from 0 to 100. That way its an easy to digest number.

Hopefully this helps!
Thanks
The obvious problem is that there is no hard upper limit to the numbers, so if you scale it linearly there is a risk of exceeding 100.
You could get around that with a nonlinear scale, so that infinity maps to 100 (but zero still maps to zero). E.g. ##\frac{100x}{x+1}##.
A more sophisticated mapping might be able to preserve the mean and variance, or maybe map those to some preferred fixed points.

1. How do I determine which values to use for my independent variable?

The values for your independent variable should be chosen based on the range of possible values that are relevant to your study. For example, if you are measuring the effects of temperature on plant growth, you may choose to use values between 0 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Can I use non-numerical values for my independent variable?

It is generally recommended to use numerical values for your independent variable in order to make it easier to analyze and interpret your data. However, in some cases, non-numerical values may be appropriate, such as in a study looking at the effects of different types of music on mood.

3. How many values should I use for my independent variable?

The number of values to use for your independent variable will depend on the specific goals of your study and the nature of the phenomenon you are studying. In general, it is recommended to have at least 5-10 values in order to adequately capture any potential patterns or trends.

4. Do I need to use equal intervals for my independent variable?

Using equal intervals for your independent variable is not always necessary, but it can be helpful in certain situations. For example, if you are studying the relationship between income and happiness, using equal intervals may make it easier to identify any potential trends.

5. Can I change the values for my independent variable during the course of my study?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change the values for your independent variable during a study. This can introduce bias and make it difficult to accurately interpret the results. However, in some cases, such as in a longitudinal study, it may be necessary to change the values over time in order to capture changes in the phenomenon being studied.