1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Needle on parallel lines, problem

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    Hi, I was given a problem by the professor, and I feel like I do not know where to begin. Well, here is the problem:
    Endless, parallel East-to-West lines are spaced 2 inches apart on the ground, and a needle of length 1 inch is randomly tossed on the ground.
    Compute the probability that the needle touches a line.

I have tried attempting it, but I really don't have anywhere to start. Would anyone perhaps nudge me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2
    This is a classical problem with a very interesting solution. There's a couple ways of doing it. Think about circles that spinning the needle generates...
  4. Mar 7, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One thing you will need to decide is: what is your random variable and what probability distribution will you use? It is probably simplest to assume a uniform distribution but what variable? The position of the center of the needle or one end point? The angle the needle makes with the horizontal? A combination of those?
  5. Mar 7, 2007 #4
    ah thx guys. :wink:
  6. Mar 7, 2007 #5
    oh yeah nice problem, a classic one too...... I won't spoil the fun but just do some geometry. In fact... I remember that there is like this one guy that does this experiment over and over and over... and over again to estimate a certain mathematical constant. :wink:
  7. Mar 7, 2007 #6
    And then fudged his results before publishing them, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?