Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Needy things

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1

my webcam is being silly. its acting like a 2 yr old and freaking out whenever it can't see me. now, i'm sure there must be some logical physics related reason why.... i'm not sure what, (feel free to inform me if you know..)

but there are loads of things in life that act like that you know? i'm sure everyone has stories of machines they have to fondle and caress gently in order to work properly. so share share!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2
    I've never used one. Is there some kind of autofocus that might have gotten sensitive to sudden changes in the distance of what it is focusing on?
  4. Nov 5, 2005 #3
    nope. definetly not. i've kept my hands in front of it and ducked and it freaks. has to have my face right in front of it... its weird. it really freaks out too. keeps shutting down my messenger.
  5. Nov 5, 2005 #4

If you had an iSight, made by Apple (http://apple.com/isight) you wouldn't have any problems. In fact the video/picture would be much much better.
  6. Nov 6, 2005 #5
    Your PC, do you call it "Hal"?
  7. Nov 6, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Sounds like voltage dependant pixilation to me, have you tried wobbling
    your plug ? Try sticking your tongue out at it, if it goes crazy it is most
    likely to be an over sensitive power supply.:biggrin:
  8. Nov 6, 2005 #7
    hey, actually, i just realized... it stopped freaking out last night. i went to lay down on cam, and it was fine. i had it pointed at my bed though so it could see me. but it was a-ok with me resting. i think i'll try to see if its still freaking out now.
  9. Nov 6, 2005 #8
    hah, no i do not. my pc is named "The Super-Coolness-the coolest of cool computers" :approve:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?