When Machines Refuse to Behave: Tales of Unruly Technology

In summary, the webcam is acting like a 2 yr old and freaking out whenever it can't see me. I'm not sure what the reason is, but there are lots of things in life that act like that you know.
Gale
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=98589"

my webcam is being silly. its acting like a 2 yr old and freaking out whenever it can't see me. now, I'm sure there must be some logical physics related reason why... I'm not sure what, (feel free to inform me if you know..)

but there are loads of things in life that act like that you know? I'm sure everyone has stories of machines they have to fondle and caress gently in order to work properly. so share share!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never used one. Is there some kind of autofocus that might have gotten sensitive to sudden changes in the distance of what it is focusing on?

nope. definately not. I've kept my hands in front of it and ducked and it freaks. has to have my face right in front of it... its weird. it really freaks out too. keeps shutting down my messenger.

If you had an iSight, made by Apple (http://apple.com/isight ) you wouldn't have any problems. In fact the video/picture would be much much better.

Gale said:
nope. definately not. I've kept my hands in front of it and ducked and it freaks. has to have my face right in front of it... its weird. it really freaks out too. keeps shutting down my messenger.
Your PC, do you call it "Hal"?

Gale said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=98589"
my webcam is being silly. its acting like a 2 yr old and freaking out whenever it can't see me. now, I'm sure there must be some logical physics related reason why... I'm not sure what, (feel free to inform me if you know..)
but there are loads of things in life that act like that you know? I'm sure everyone has stories of machines they have to fondle and caress gently in order to work properly. so share share!

Sounds like voltage dependant pixilation to me, have you tried wobbling
your plug ? Try sticking your tongue out at it, if it goes crazy it is most
likely to be an over sensitive power supply.:biggrin:

hey, actually, i just realized... it stopped freaking out last night. i went to lay down on cam, and it was fine. i had it pointed at my bed though so it could see me. but it was a-ok with me resting. i think i'll try to see if its still freaking out now.

zoobyshoe said:
Your PC, do you call it "Hal"?

hah, no i do not. my pc is named "The Super-Coolness-the coolest of cool computers" :approve:

1. What is the main theme of "When Machines Refuse to Behave: Tales of Unruly Technology"?

The main theme of "When Machines Refuse to Behave" is the unpredictable and sometimes dangerous behavior of technology, and the potential consequences for humans.

2. Are the stories in this book based on real events?

Yes, the stories in this book are based on real events and scientific research. The author has drawn inspiration from various sources and has also conducted interviews with experts in the field.

3. How does this book address the ethical concerns surrounding technology?

This book explores the ethical implications of unruly technology and the potential consequences for society. It raises important questions about responsibility, accountability, and the role of humans in controlling and regulating technology.

4. Who would benefit from reading "When Machines Refuse to Behave"?

This book would be of interest to anyone who is curious about the impact of technology on society and the potential dangers of relying too heavily on machines. It may also be useful for those working in the field of technology, as it raises important ethical considerations.

5. What can we learn from the stories in "When Machines Refuse to Behave"?

The stories in this book serve as cautionary tales, highlighting the potential consequences of unchecked and unruly technology. They also provide valuable insights into the complex relationship between humans and machines, and the need for ethical considerations in the development and use of technology.