Negative angles (and much more)

In summary: And I have not seen "scalar components" treated as magnitudes. Rather, they are treated as vectors.In summary, proving the equation ##\sin{(x+y)} = \sin{x} \cos{y} + \cos{x} \sin{y}## for all real ##x## and ##y## requires using a geometric proof, which often places restrictions on the arguments of trigonometric functions. Similarly, in physics, convenient cases are often used before assuming that the results hold true for all angles. However, these assumptions may not always be justified and further examination of the proofs is necessary.
PFuser1232
How does one prove ##\sin{(x+y)} = \sin{x} \cos{y} + \cos{x} \sin{y}## for all real ##x## and ##y## (not just for ##[0, \frac{\pi}{2}]##?
Almost every "geometric proof" I see for formulas like the one I mentioned above, or results such as ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin{x}}{x} = 1##, places a restriction (usually ##[0,\frac{\pi}{2}]## on the argument of the sine (or cosine, or tangent) function. The result is then said to be true for all real numbers.
I've seen this over and over again in physics as well. When there is, for example, some force that varies with time, we express the components of that force in terms of the angles given by looking at a convenient case where some right triangle is formed, before applying rules from "classic" geometry such as "the sum of the angles in a triangle is always ##\pi##". We then assume the results we get hold true for all angles.
Even when deriving the equations of motion in polar coordinates, while the "analytical derivation" seems to work for angles and scalar components of all magnitudes and signs, the "geometric derivation" almost always involves looking at some convenient situation where the angle/increment in angle is always positive, and where the scalar components of a vector (which can be positive, negative, or zero) are treated as magnitudes.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try to express an arbitrary angle ##x## as an angle in ##[0,\pi/2]## plus some constant.

MohammedRady97 said:
How does one prove ##\sin{(x+y)} = \sin{x} \cos{y} + \cos{x} \sin{y}## for all real ##x## and ##y## (not just for ##[0, \frac{\pi}{2}]##?
Almost every "geometric proof" I see for formulas like the one I mentioned above, or results such as ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin{x}}{x} = 1##, places a restriction (usually ##[0,\frac{\pi}{2}]## on the argument of the sine (or cosine, or tangent) function. The result is then said to be true for all real numbers.
The "limit as x goes to 0" can't be said to "be true for all real numbers"!
As for sin(x+ y)= sin(x)cos(y)+ cos(x)sin(y), how that is proved depends on exactly how you have defined the sine and cosine functions. Obviously, if we are defining them for all real numbers we cannot use the trigonometric "opposite side over hypotenuse" definitions. Most textbook use the unit circle: Given a circle with radius one, center at the origin of a xy- coordinate system, if you start at (1, 0) and measure a distance, t, counter-clockwise around the circumference of the circle, cos(t) is the x coordinate of the end point and sin(t) is the y coordinate.

I've seen this over and over again in physics as well. When there is, for example, some force that varies with time, we express the components of that force in terms of the angles given by looking at a convenient case where some right triangle is formed, before applying rules from "classic" geometry such as "the sum of the angles in a triangle is always ##\pi##". We then assume the results we get hold true for all angles.
Well, physics texts are notoriously lax about mathematical rigor. However, once again, it does not make sense to talk about "for all angles" in "the sum of the angles in a triangle". Obviously the angles in any triangle must be between 0 and ##\pi##. And the proof that the sum of angles is ##\pi## does not require trig functions.

Even when deriving the equations of motion in polar coordinates, while the "analytical derivation" seems to work for angles and scalar components of all magnitudes and signs, the "geometric derivation" almost always involves looking at some convenient situation where the angle/increment in angle is always positive, and where the scalar components of a vector (which can be positive, negative, or zero) are treated as magnitudes.
Then I think you need to look at those proofs more carefully. The proofs I have seen may first treat a "convenient situation" but then extend to other angles.

1. What are negative angles?

Negative angles are angles that measure in the opposite direction of positive angles, or clockwise instead of counterclockwise. They are typically measured in degrees or radians, with a negative sign (-) indicating direction.

2. How are negative angles used in mathematics?

Negative angles are used in a variety of mathematical applications, such as in trigonometry, where they represent the direction of rotation of a point on a coordinate plane. They are also used in solving equations and in complex number operations.

3. Can negative angles have a magnitude larger than 360 degrees?

Yes, negative angles can have a magnitude larger than 360 degrees. This is because they are measured in the opposite direction of positive angles, so a negative angle of -450 degrees, for example, would be equivalent to a positive angle of 90 degrees.

4. What is the difference between a negative angle and a reflex angle?

A negative angle is a measurement in the opposite direction of positive angles, while a reflex angle is an angle that is greater than 180 degrees. So, while a negative angle can be any measurement less than 0 degrees, a reflex angle is specifically between 180 and 360 degrees.

5. How do negative angles relate to real-world scenarios?

Negative angles can be used to describe real-world scenarios where there is a rotation in the opposite direction of a positive angle. For example, if a car turns clockwise, this could be represented by a negative angle. Negative angles are also used in navigation, engineering, and other fields to describe the direction of movement or rotation.