Negative or positive in rolling?

In summary, when a cylinder is rolling on a plane, the acceleration of the cylinder is equal to the negative acceleration of the rope.
uriwolln
When, let's say, a cylinder is rolling on a plane, and there is a rope coiled around the cylinder and the rope moves at an acceleration of A(rope) at the upper part of the cylinder to the right.
Ok, so when I try to envision it, the cylinder is rolling in the CW direction.
so R(alpha)= - A(cylinder). When the acceleration of the cylinder is relative to the ground.
but then I need to look at the spring too, right?
so since the cylinder is STILL moving in CW direction, the equation for that should be
R(alpha)= - (A(cylinder) - A(rope))
But in questions I tired to solve they took it as positive.
Am I overlooking sth?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a cylinder and rope and then suddenly a spring?

What's R(alpha)?

Do you have a diagram? Either I'm missing something or this is a rather confusing description.

lets say to inorder for sth to roll you need to have the equation V=wR
so when you derive it, it goes a=alpha x R.
here is the diagram, there are no springs here.
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4328/setuppp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the center of mass of the cylinder a = -alpha x R. Assuming the cylinder is rolling and not slipping, the string acclerates at twice that speed. This is assuming that alpha being clockwise is a negative number, and assuming you want left to right movement to be considered as positive.

ok, so let me get this straight.
because the movement if from left to right, then does the equation necessarily imply
a(rope) - a (cylinder)= -r x alpha.
the negative sign again here because the cylinder rolls in CW direction.
I mean, do I always get to do, the positive acceleration - which in this case is the rope- minus the other one?

1. What is the difference between negative and positive in rolling?

Negative in rolling refers to a situation where the rolling motion is slowing down, while positive in rolling refers to a situation where the rolling motion is speeding up. This can be seen in objects such as a ball rolling up or down a hill.

2. How does friction affect negative or positive in rolling?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining whether an object will experience negative or positive in rolling. If the frictional force is greater than the force causing the object to roll, it will experience negative in rolling. If the force causing the object to roll is greater than the frictional force, it will experience positive in rolling.

3. Can an object experience both negative and positive in rolling?

Yes, an object can experience both negative and positive in rolling at different points in its motion. For example, a ball rolling down a hill will experience negative in rolling at the beginning as it slows down due to friction, but as it reaches the bottom of the hill, it will experience positive in rolling as it speeds up.

4. How does the shape of an object affect negative or positive in rolling?

The shape of an object can greatly impact its negative or positive in rolling. Objects with a larger radius will experience less negative in rolling and more positive in rolling. This is why spherical objects, such as a ball, tend to roll more smoothly than objects with irregular shapes.

5. Is negative or positive in rolling more efficient?

In general, positive in rolling is more efficient as it allows an object to travel further with less energy. This is because the object is using its own rolling motion to propel itself forward, rather than fighting against friction. However, there are situations where negative in rolling may be preferred, such as when trying to slow down or stop an object from rolling too fast.