Understanding Negative Quantum States: A Simplified Explanation by Dirac

In summary: Yes, I will admit that most scientists will come to agree that the Dirac Sea is implausible, but a true scientist cannot say it is ruled out. As far as we can tell, so called ''empty space'' is thriving with virtual negative energy.thank you very much for the replies..i actually encountered this while readig a book , quite old , and that's why i probably heard abt this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
NEILS BOHR
can somebody simply explain what is meant by NEGATIVE QUANTUM STATES , as given by dirac in his theory?i know its not as SIMPLE as i want it to be , but still I would like to know its significance in the most basic way!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're probably talking about states with negative energy, which were once thought to exist.

NEILS BOHR said:
can somebody simply explain what is meant by NEGATIVE QUANTUM STATES , as given by dirac in his theory?i know its not as SIMPLE as i want it to be , but still I would like to know its significance in the most basic way!

NEILS BOHR said:

The equations of Cosmology dictate there is a negative energy reseviour in our universe - it is the thing which has plauged the minds of theoreticians since the observation of universal acceleration.

Even in Dirac's equation, negative quantum states are virtual particles which have negative energies. A hole in the Dirac Sea means the presence of an antiparticle, which has ''exotic'' as it's previous existence sounded, does not contain a negative energy, just a change in the sign of their charges. The Dirac sea is then a negatively-filled sea of virtual and potential energy. Some do not like the idea, and say it's not very elegant... because there is so much of this superfluous energy.

So when we talk about the negative partner of the real particle in the vacuum, we are talking about a normal right moving wave and a left moving wave

[tex]i\frac{\psi_R}{\partial t} = -i\partial_x \psi_R+M \psi_L[/tex]

[tex]i\frac{\psi_L}{\partial t} = +i\partial_x \psi_L+M \psi_R[/tex]

So even though we are having to deal with negative fluctuations in the vacuum, the antiparticles we are told and believe in actually arise from this energy density in the vacuum. In fact, you can find these sorts of sums in many parts of physics. Consider the negative energy photons which make contribution to the zero-point energy field.

The equations of Cosmology dictate there is a negative energy reseviour in our universe -...
we are talking about a normal right moving wave and a left moving wave...
Consider the negative energy photons which make contribution to the zero-point energy field.
Huh?? Well there are many odd things about this answer, so I'll just comment on the original post.

It was once thought that the negative frequency components in the Klein-Gordon and Dirac equations represented negative energy solutions. Dirac proposed a "hole theory" in which the negative energy states were completely filled. Although the theory was soon recognized as incorrect, it's surprising how often you still hear it mentioned.

What we now realize is that the specification of a field theory must include the specification of a Hilbert space, and they were trying to use the wrong one. In place of negative energy states the correct Hilbert space contains positive energy antiparticles.

Bill_K said:
Huh?? Well there are many odd things about this answer, so I'll just comment on the original post.

It was once thought that the negative frequency components in the Klein-Gordon and Dirac equations represented negative energy solutions. Dirac proposed a "hole theory" in which the negative energy states were completely filled. Although the theory was soon recognized as incorrect, it's surprising how often you still hear it mentioned.

What we now realize is that the specification of a field theory must include the specification of a Hilbert space, and they were trying to use the wrong one. In place of negative energy states the correct Hilbert space contains positive energy antiparticles.

Yes, I will admit that most scientists will come to agree that the Dirac Sea is implausible, but a true scientist cannot say it is ruled out. As far as we can tell, so called ''empty space'' is thriving with virtual negative energy.

thank you very much for the replies..i actually encountered this while readig a book , quite old , and that's why i probably heard abt this,,,,,,,,

1. What is a negative quantum state?

A negative quantum state is a state in which certain properties of a quantum system have negative values. This is in contrast to classical physics, where all properties have positive values.

2. How does Dirac's explanation simplify understanding of negative quantum states?

Dirac's explanation uses mathematical notation to represent quantum states, making it easier to describe and understand the complex nature of negative quantum states. It also provides a framework for calculations and predictions in quantum mechanics.

3. Can negative quantum states exist in the physical world?

Yes, negative quantum states have been observed in various experiments and have been proven to exist in the physical world. They play a crucial role in many quantum phenomena and are integral in our understanding of the universe.

4. What are the implications of negative quantum states?

Negative quantum states have many implications in the field of quantum mechanics. They allow for the existence of antimatter and provide a way to describe and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They also have applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

5. How can understanding negative quantum states benefit society?

Understanding negative quantum states can lead to advancements in technology and innovation. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe and potentially lead to the development of new theories and laws. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as medicine, energy, and communication.