Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative sequence currents in an alternator

1. May 14, 2016 #1

cnh1995

Homework Helper

We recently performed one experiment regarding measurement of negative sequence impedance of an alternator(unloaded) in our lab session. The alternator was star connected and we shorted Y and B phases together, leaving R phase open(an L-L fault). How does this arrangement generate negative sequence currents? How is the direction of rotation of magnetic field reversed? Please help. Many thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetrical_components

4. May 14, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

We measured the open circuit voltage VRY and short circuit current IYB. The ratio VRY/IYB is the negative sequence impedance. How?

5. May 15, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the very definition of impedance is the ratio of voltage to current. The only question is which impedance it is it?

I suggest that you study symmetrical components enough to solve the homework problem of making an equivalent circuit for a L-L fault. Once you have that, it should be obvious which impedance you are measuring.

6. May 17, 2016 #5
    You should be able to plug and chug, but I'm not able to use a program to give me a quick and dirty answer, and I don't have time to do the calculation by hand.

See if this can shed any light onto your problem...
    https://cdn.selinc.com//assets/Lite...etrical-Pt1_AR_20130422.pdf?v=20150812-081134

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted