Exploring Negative Time and its Effects

In summary, negative time would be described with imaginary numbers and be a kind of anti-time. Matter's usual behavior would be vastly different in a world with negative time. Gravity would be affected, since there is no such thing as anti-gravity. General relativity does not let you push any object initially less than the speed of light to a speed that equals or exceeds the speed of light. But special relativity (as far as I know) does not prohibit an object originating at FTL.
Vinni
Hello All I'm new to the forum and have a question.

I was looking at the time dilation function and noticed that negative time would be described with imaginary numbers and be a kind of anti-time, albeit that rest mass can not be pushed faster than the speed of light but for the sake of brevity say FTL is possible. That being the case then negative time would result as a change in the direction of momentum and not in the proverbial backward time travel of H.G. Wells' "Time Machine". With negative time atoms would fly apart, electrons would cling to electrons, protons would cling to protons, matter's usual behavior would be vastly different.

Am I wrong with this conclusion? Also would gravity be affected, since there is no such thing as anti-gravity, could anti-time(negative time) create anti-gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Special relativity does not let you push any object initially less than the speed of light to a speed that equals or exceeds the speed of light.

But special relativity (as far as I know) does not prohibit an object originating at FTL. But an object that starts FTL, can never slow down to light speed or less. These hypotherical particles are called Tachyons.

Also would gravity be affected, since there is no such thing as anti-gravity, could anti-time(negative time) create anti-gravity?

Considering that there is no causal mechanism that warps space because of the presence of matter physicists would conclude that negative time has no effect on gravity!

Would this be an accurate interpretation of general relativity?

When you say negative time are you talking about a time translation in the negative t direction?

Vinni said:
Considering that there is no causal mechanism that warps space because of the presence of matter physicists would conclude that negative time has no effect on gravity!

Would this be an accurate interpretation of general relativity?
I don't know about negative time, but and interesting thing happens if you develop an equation for relativistic energy for a Tachyon: the mass must be imaginary since the ratio of two imaginary numbers is a real number. For example, i = sqrt (-1), then i / i = 1.

So the question is does imaginary mass affect space time according to general relativty?

Vinni said:
I was looking at the time dilation function and noticed that negative time would be described with imaginary numbers and be a kind of anti-time
What do you mean by this?

In the equation:
[tex]\Delta t' = \frac{\Delta t}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

A negative [itex]\Delta t'[/itex] would imply a negative [itex]\Delta t[/itex], but I don't see where any imaginary numbers would come in.

DaleSpam said:
but I don't see where any imaginary numbers would come in.

:smile:

Proper time, is an interval between two events, this in GR, can never be negative, i.e. clocks never go backwards.

Passionflower said:
Proper time, is an interval between two events, this in GR, can never be negative, i.e. clocks never go backwards.

You're right! Even if I used imaginary numbers to represent the roots of [tex]1-v^2/c^2[/tex] when v is greater than c

[itex]\Delta t' > 0[/itex]

Since [tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]

So this means v > c or v< c and v != c if hypothecally v is allowed to be FTL and the absolute value of the denominator is used. Then does it make sense that a particle can quantum mechanically tunnel beyond c by transforming into a tachyon, hypothetically?

I read that there is two kinds of time :

past time which has the value of -it

future time which has the value of +it

and by the multiplication of them we obtain the square of our present time which we live in !:smile:

Time is deeply connected to the concept of Entropy which is "time arrow" , and if we want to discuss the direction of the time we will be forced to speak about entropy and thermodynamic processes , I think so.

1. What is negative time?

Negative time is a theoretical concept that suggests the possibility of time moving backwards, leading to events occurring before their cause. It is a controversial idea that has been explored in science fiction and theoretical physics.

2. How is negative time different from time travel?

Negative time and time travel are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Time travel involves moving forward or backward through time, while negative time involves the reversal of the flow of time itself.

3. What are some potential effects of negative time?

The effects of negative time are purely speculative at this point, as there is no scientific evidence to support its existence. Some theories suggest that it could lead to paradoxes, such as the grandfather paradox, where the possibility of going back in time and killing one's own grandfather would create a contradiction. Other theories suggest that it could lead to alternate timelines or parallel universes.

4. Is there any scientific evidence for negative time?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence for negative time. The concept is purely theoretical and has not been proven through experimentation or observation. It remains a topic of speculation and exploration in the field of theoretical physics.

5. How can negative time be explored or studied?

Since there is no scientific evidence for negative time, it cannot be studied or explored in a traditional scientific manner. However, some theories and thought experiments have been proposed to explore the possibilities and implications of negative time. These include mathematical models and conceptual explorations in the field of theoretical physics.