Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Net electric field with triangle

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton and an electron form two corners of an equilateral triangle of side length 5.3 x 10-6 m. What is the magnitude of the net electric field these particles produce at the third corner?

2. Relevant equations
    E=kQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a triangle with an electron and a proton as the corners. I'm thinking of using Pythagorean theorem or something then solve this with the formula by dividing the distance. I'm sort of confused but i do know that the answer will be negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2
    hopefully this can point you in the correct direction to go in to solve this problem. one of the main concepts in electrodynamics is superposition. superposition says that the electric field at a point is the sum of all the electric charges acting on that point. hopefully the fact the electrostatics follows the rule of superposition you might have a slight idea how to approach this problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook