What is the role of drag moment in the net momentum formula for quadrotors?

In summary, the formula for calculating the moment in a quadrotor system involves adding up the uplift force from the propellers, the drag moment for the propellers, and any external moments. The drag moment is the total moment of all aerodynamic forces on the blades, which are in the plane of the propeller disc. This general formula (1) can be used to understand the underlying theory, with \mathbf{M}_i representing external moments.
harmyder
While watching lecture at Coursera, i tumbled over this fourmula

Moment
[tex]\mathbf{M}=\sum_{i=1}^{4}(\mathbf{F}_i\times \mathbf{r}_i+\mathbf{M}_i)[/tex]
where F is uplift force from a propeller, and M is drag moment for a propeller.

But why they add drag moment(torque) like that? Maybe it will differ for central point.

quadrotor.png

Physics news on Phys.org
harmyder said:
Maybe it will differ for central point.
Try it out by computing the moments of the blade drag forces around different reference points.

A.T. said:
Try it out by computing the moments of the blade drag forces around different reference points.
Thanks, it is true for two points on the picture, but can you name the rule? I want to read it whole to understand it better. Thank you.
two_reference.png

Could somebody write what are these [itex]M_i[/itex]? Because i still don't understand how it works, i think every moment must be calculated about some point.

I have found this formula
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\dot{\mathbf{H}}_O = \sum(\mathbf{r}_i \times m_i\dot{\mathbf{v}}_i) = \sum(\mathbf{r}_i \times \mathbf{F}_i + \mathbf{M}_i)
\end{equation}[/tex]
but i don't understand from where [itex]\mathbf{M}_i[/itex] came, because i think that [itex]m_i\dot{\mathbf{v}}_i = \mathbf{F}_i[/itex]

Last edited:
harmyder said:
i don't understand from where [itex]\mathbf{M}_i[/itex] came,
Didn't you explain it yourself:
harmyder said:
and M is drag moment for a propeller.
It's the total moment of all aerodynamic forces on the blades, which are in the plane of the propeller disc.

A.T. said:
Didn't you explain it yourself:
Well, yes, but here i want to know from where [itex]M[/itex] came in this general formula [itex](1).[/itex] It is unrelated for quadrotor, just to understand underlying theory.

Last edited:
harmyder said:
Well, yes, but here i want to know from where [itex]M[/itex] came in this general formula [itex](1).[/itex] It is unrelated for quadrotor, just to understand underlying theory.
In general it's just some external moment.

Likes harmyder

1. What is net momentum for a quadrotor?

Net momentum for a quadrotor is the total combined force and direction of movement of the quadrotor. It takes into account the individual momentums of each rotor and the overall motion of the quadrotor.

2. How is net momentum calculated for a quadrotor?

Net momentum for a quadrotor is calculated by multiplying the mass of the quadrotor by its velocity. This takes into account both the linear and angular momentum of the quadrotor.

3. Why is net momentum important for a quadrotor?

Net momentum is important for a quadrotor because it determines the overall stability and control of the quadrotor. It also affects its ability to perform different maneuvers and tasks.

4. How can net momentum be altered for a quadrotor?

Net momentum for a quadrotor can be altered by changing the speed and direction of the rotors. It can also be changed by altering the mass of the quadrotor or by using external forces such as wind or gravity.

5. What are the implications of having high or low net momentum for a quadrotor?

Having high net momentum for a quadrotor can result in fast and agile movements, but it can also make the quadrotor more difficult to control. On the other hand, low net momentum can make the quadrotor more stable and easier to control, but it may be limited in its ability to perform certain tasks or maneuvers.